Sign in to follow this  
Guest rbrown3rd

Gerrish's Tree Macros

Guest rbrown3rd

I just installed Gerrish Gray's tree api's. Does anyone know how to use them in FS Architect? I am having trouble setting the required parameters such as tree type, and tree scale. I would appreciate any advice or help from you more experienced designers. Thanks in advance.Bob Brown

Hi BobI don't think it is possible to use gerrish's trees with Arch2002, although I would suggest you try emailing him, he's good on support.I downloaded and used airport 2.6 for using Gerrish's trees, it's a good programme to use as well, I use both. Kind regardsDave

Guest GerrishGray

Hi guysBob's already been in touch with me about this, but I can't give him a direct answer because I'm not an FS Architect owner/user. I seem to be getting a lot of questions about this of late, and quite a few related support problems, so I would be grateful for any help anyone can offer on whether and how my macros can be made to work satisfactorily with this program.Thanks in anticipationGerrish

Guest GerrishGray

OK guys, I have done some more testing with this and I'm afraid that I have to report that the present Trees Library macros remain incompatible with the FreeSC compiler used by FS Architect. This is a great pity because I know that a lot of you would like to use my trees with FS Architect.All I can suggest at the moment is using another design program, such as Airport for Windows or FS Scenery Creator, to create a separate BGL file to add the trees to your scenery.However, if there is enough demand and I can find the time, I will write a fix in the form of a separate set of macros that will work with FS Architect / FreeSC. So let me know if you would like me to do this, either by replying to this post or by a direct e-mail to gerrish@flightsims.co.ukThanksGerrish

Guest rbrown3rd

Can't Architect be configured to use the latest Scasm compiler?

Guest GerrishGray

Hi BobYes, I see that FS Architect now has a freeware trial version, which I have downloaded, and also now supports SCASM as well as FreeSC.So the existing tree macros could indeed be used with FS Architect 'as is' by anyone prepared to install SCASM in place of FreeSC and able to register the macros in Architect. The Architect help files give clear instructions for this registration process, and the necessary information is in the header at the top of each macro. So that solves the immediate problem (and there is no need to try editing the macros!)Ultimately it would still be nice to support FS Architect fully by (a) producing FreeSC compatible versions of the macros, and (:( include the necessary Architect-style 'meta-tags' in the macros to simplify the registration process, and I will try to find the time to do this before too long.Kind RegardsGerrish

Guest luissa

Hi Gerrish,There are some small incompatibilities between FSC and SCASM. I have recently returned to SCASM after using FSC for quite a while. In order to make it completely compatible with SCASM, on one hand, and to increase the power of the compiler, on the other hand, I modified and added some SCASM commands not implemented in FSC. Also I noted that some discipline in the writing (sintax) of the macros would solve most of the problems. Therefore, may be, an addition to fscuser.fsc will make your macros to compile without problems. Sometime ago I thought that FSC would be an alternative to SCASM (if MM would not support his compiler, which he did). I was seriously thinking in improving my skills in C language to write my own routines for FSC. But that has not been necessary.Kind Regards, Luis

Guest GerrishGray

Hi LuisUnfortunately the compatibility issue for my macros is not that simple. There are some differences between SCASM and FreeSC in the handling of hexadecimal values in calculations, and unfortunately these affect the way I calculate the GUID's of my library objects from the 'Tree ID(s)' and other parameters. These differences are 'built in' and cannot be eliminated by writing or modifying .fsc include files for FreeSC.I actually had this conversation about 18 months ago with Doug Pouk (FS Architect) and Derek Leung (FS Scenery Creator) and at the time could not immediately find a way of recasting the code of my calculations to make them compatible with both compilers. At the time, FreeSC seemed to still have some other problems anyway and so, like Derek, I took the easy (lazy!) way out and just gave up on FreeSC for the time being, deciding to support SCASM only.The only simple solution would be to write a second, separate, set of macros for use with FreeSC - easy enough, but a bit tedious, and I have never got round to doing it ... yet!None of this, however, prevents FS Architect users from using the existing macros - they just need to make the switch to SCASM in place of FreeSC. Phil Enos has done this recently for his excellent new Michigan scenery, for example. If anyone wants to take this route, please write to me direct at gerrish@flightsims.co.uk for further information.Kind RegardsGerrish

Guest rbrown3rd

Gerrish and all. I am optimistic about being able to use Doug's Architect with the tree macros but need things explained to me in the simplest of terms. When I register one of the macros in Architect I get the following screen and don't know what to do next. I would appreciate some specific instructions as to how to proceed. Here is the screen.http://www.bbbrown.com/bbbrown/images/jpgs...us/snap2895.jpg

Guest RobA

Gerrish, Thanks for your earlier email reply on this subject. Having your tree macros work with FreeSC compiler would be a nifty little present to us Architects. ;-) FreeSC is unable to handle the new macros with floating point commands, such as are being made with NovaSim and maybe FSDS2. I'm doing much like you suggested by using FreeSC to place excludes and flatten areas, then switch to scasm for the rest of the scenery in Architect. To place your trees I had to d/l FSSC scenery program and place them that way. Now after seeing Bob's post and reading the docs for Architect again, I should be able to edit the macro properties on the page Bob is showing, in the right hand column. I'll test it myself and report back anything I find out. :-)BTW, I have your macros showing up now and am just beginning to explore the possibilities. :-)Thanks, Rob

Guest rbrown3rd

Could someone tell me in simple terms how to register the tree macros in Architect?