Sign in to follow this  

FSDS2 vs. FSDS1 : Object out of range!

In FSDS1 the polygon number could go up to 750-800 before Airport started yelling "Object out of range" when trying to compile the Airport-file. In FSDS2 this number seems to be somewhere around 300! Can anyone confirm this, or give some advice how to get rid of it? Of course, the object can always be split in several objects or exported directly as a .bgl-file, but that's not what I'm looking for as an answer to this topic. How about those of you, who have made APIs from GMAX-objects, anyone know what the polygon maximum number is here?

Guest luissa

Hi,The new FS2002 floating-point instructions require larger BGLs or larger TXT "Scasm source" files". SCASM by default reserves some RAM to temporarily store point coordinates and other information that it uses during compilation. What I think is hapenning is that these buffers are not sufficient large for your project. I have very litle experience with AirportForWindows but I know that you can set command line switches for SCASM. Try to use switches that make these buffers larger. An alternative would be to include a file in all of your Airport projects with "pseudo SCASM commands". Regards, Luis

Hi Luissa,What you say sounds like something I'll need to try. But I'm far from the best in SCASM-coding, so if you want and have time to add some more comprehensive instructions, I would be more than happy!Thanks...

Here's a screen dump of the SCASM command lines? Any clue what I should change them to? Arno? (come back from Belgium!)

Guest luissa

>Here's a screen dump of the SCASM command lines? Any clue >what I should change them to? Arno? (come back from >Belgium!) Hello Eva2002,The following SCASM pseudo commands should allow very large files to compile:Set( BUF 1024 )Set( areamx 1024 )Set( LINBUF 2048 )I think that they should be placed on the top of the SCASM file just after the Header() and LatRange(). Your API will be introduced in the SCASM file after your runways, your buildings, your taxiways, etc. Therefore even if the generated FSDS2 API has these commands they will probably will not result as expected as they are not at the top of the file.Please read the SCASM DOCS for further explanation (I would have to read them as well if I had to write more than this). I rarely use Airport for Windows and I do not know if pasting those lines in the file that comes when you go to the menu SECTIONS > GENERAL > SCASM CODE, will solve this.Kind Regards, Luis

I think the solution for the out of range error is to change the Area type that is used by FSDS2. You can set it in the "Project properties". By default type 5 is used, but if you set it to type C for example much larger areas are allowed.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Arno,It didn't work, I still get the "out of range" error...

This is a stupid question, but how to make a .sca file to .api? I exported the object to a -sca-file from FSDS2, and inserted those lines you mention, Luis. But now I want it to Api so I can insert it in Airport...EDIT: Luis, I noticed that FSDS2 BY DEFAULT inserts those lines you mention, and directly on the spot you mentioned too. Are we getting out of ideas?

Sebastian,I got the same error when I exported a FSDS1 object with FSDS2, but after I changed something and/or re-exported they were gone. The bad thing is that I don't know anymore what I did change.....I'll have a look this evening what I changed, I thought I changed the Area type, but not sure.....Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest luissa

Hello,No, keep using the API. Airport will "construct" a complete SCASM file that will be presented to SCASM. SCASM compiles that file and generates the BGL. The lines I referred to (which appear at the start of the API) should be placed at the beginning of the Airport "constructed file". The Airport "constructed file" will contain your APIs in the midle of it. This is the problem. You should be able to set up Airport to include those SCASM pseudo commands at the the beginning. But by no means I am an Airport expert to answer that.Also note what Arno told us: select one of the large Areas in FSDS2. You can select several types of Areas.Regards,Luis

I tried area C, which was "huge", but it didn't work. Is there anyone who knows Airport for Windows well and call tell the proper way of inserting these command lines?

Just open the SCA file in notepad or so and paste them in. Then try to compile the source and see if it works.Arno

Arno

>Just open the SCA file in notepad or so and paste them in. >Then try to compile the source and see if it works. >>Arno >

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team >[a >href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a] No luck there either. Still this error: -> EndA -> destination ":Exit" out of range (71360), source line 55

Guest Cazador

Dear All:I remmeber that SCASM compilers can compile scenery object up to 64000 bytes of size, the SCASM error message above say that the object has a size of 71360 , i got the same problem in ASD2.1 with macros generated by FSDS1.62.The best solution to don't lose detail is to create a Library bgl with the .SCA files and mack a macro with a LibCall, i did it to may high detailed scenery objects in my Aircraft Macros.The library bgl can contain objects larger than 64Kb of size according to the SCASM docs.I think FSDS shows the object size on some window.Thanks.Alfredo Mendiola LoyolaLima Peru

Guest JR Morgan

Hi. The insertion of the parameters Luis suggested and the revised area type as Arno suggested can be accomplished as they suggested by manually editing the .sca file's text. HOWEVER, you can not then compile it using the Apt26 compile button -- If you do this, Apt26 causes the .sca file to revert-to the last configuration that Apt26's .apt VB file told it to be.The solution to that is to ALWAYS MANUALLY COMPILE the .sca file that's been revised to enlarge the area and SCASM buffers and the "Area( c" command. This has to be the last compile operation for the scenery bgl. Again, going back to use the Apt26 compile button forces the older, unedited .sca file config.The manual compile is quickly and easily accomplished: Place a copy of the SCASM 2.88 exe file on the Windows desktop along with a copy the (edited) .sca file. Drag and drop the edited .sca file on-top-of the SCASM.exe icon whereupon SCASM compiles the edited .sca file into a bgl file and places it on the desktop. Move that .bgl file from the desktop into your active scenery folder to overwrite the Apt26 compiled .bgl file and your resulting scenery bgl should be as configured by the revisions Luis and Arno advised.IF that was the problem, the manual edit/compile should fix it. Regards;J.R.