Sign in to follow this  

Basic Scenery Design

HiI`m interested in a complete redesign of my local airport and would like to know what I need in addition to GMAX/Photoshop as far as tools are concerened.I would like to design from the ground up including navaids/ils etcAlso are there any tutorials as well?Thanks for any help and I would share this with the community.By the way the airport is KPNERon

You'll need the SDKs from Microsoft. They're on the Insider page under Design Desk.John

JohnThanks for the reply.I`ve already DL the SDK`s but was interested in the best suite of tools to use in airport design.Ron

Well, GMax and Photoshop should handle the visuals.If you want to move some virtual earth you'll need the Terrain SDK.For ILS, Navs etc. as well as excludes you'll need Either SCASM which comes with Airport for Windows or BGLC which has it's own SDK (I think).SCASM has been around a long time, is very well documented, and has AFW as a graphical front end. BGLC is the "official" tool from MS. It is poorly documented, and a tad buggy.If you're going to do visuals (polys, etc) BGLC is documented to create frame rate friendlier BGLs. Otherwise I'd reccommend Airport/SCASM.There are also some good commercial products. Abacus has one called Flight Sim Scenery Designer (I think) and the latest version is said to support the faster poly commands that BGLC uses.There are also tools to change landclass data, edit ground texture polys, edit coastlines etc. What exactly are you looking to do?Regards,John