Sign in to follow this  
Guest Airprox

Gmax Texture Question

Guest Airprox

Hey all.Just getting used to texturing in GMAX. I've been using the UVW unwrap-planar map technique, as described on a New-Zealand based site (On Target, I think...). My Question is, can I assign 2 BMP's to the same object, so the sides are from one and the top is from another? I have tried changing the BMP when I allign the texture the way I want it on a certain face, but GMAX then changes all the faces to the same texture.If there is a way to do this, could you please explain in simple terms... as I am a very simple man!Hope all that made sense.Alun

I will wait and answer this after the real gurus tell us ;)...I know I do it in a way but it may not be optimal :(. I can tell you that it took me ages to figure this out...:-roll Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Guest Airprox

Glad it's not just me been stupid then!I wait with baited breath...

I think this is the best way:1. assign edit mesh modifyer2. highlight the polygon sub selection3. assign uvmap/planar3. apply a material4. uvunwrap/edit as desired5. NEW edit mesh modifyerand on and on.....the trick is step 5enjoyBob Bernstein

Guest Airprox

Thank You Bob!I shall give it a whirl.Alun

I think there's some spot on the Web somewhere that tells you how to assign multiple textures to a single object.Cant remember whre it is, though.... probably if you just do a search on "gmax texturing" or something, itll probably pop up.John

G'day everyoneJust to add to what bob has said, I have been using this technique for a while now (I prefer grouping my textures into roofs and walls - wierd I know, but thats me:P), and I have only just noticed a small quirk. When you add a material to one part of the object (ie the roof or something), gmax will automatically create a material (automatically labelled material_x)to cover the rest of the object. So either you can use this material if it is appropriate to do so, or you end up with a few unnecessary material groups at the end.CheersJarradhttp://www.westsim.com.au/

That is the one...:-)Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

It's fairly easy1st select your object next you need to select the poly's that you want to map to do this you must go the the "sub object" level.To do this(get to the sub object level) look along the right side under "edit mesh" or "editable mesh" you will see "selection"select face or polygon, next select "U.V." from the modifier stackselect mapping,then select either planar or box to map your texturethen either collapse to an editable mesh by right clicking and choosing editable mesh from the fly out or add another edit mesh modifier from the stack. Note you must either collapse your mesh or add another "edit mesh" modifier to lock your mapping into your mesh.Note there is a lot to texturing a mesh depending on it's shape andmany other things so just keep playing around until it starts to make sense to you and you will be amazed at what you can do!. Dan ( P.S. hope this is of some help to you)

Guest Airprox

Thaks to everyone, looks like I'm gonna be busy!