Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

BIG-bug? (gmax 1.2, NO newbie question)

Hi everybody.I downloaded gmax 1.2 yesterday and installed it (already had 1.1 and 1.0 and they worked ok, including exporting and everything, already made a lot of FS scenery work)I opened a .gmax - model with gmax 1.2 and wanted to export it, but it didn't work, error message stated something about the size of the crash octree being too big. So I selected "keep files" and "keep error log" in the MakeMDL tool to check the "blah_0.asm" - file and noticed that the model had "huge" dimensions (10,000s of meters). My gmax - model is of course a normal building sized about 40 metres. So there might be an "ISSUE" with gmax 1.2.Before you start screaming at me, I think I checked all the obvious, "known" troublemakers:- I checked the dimensions in gmax and they are set to "metric".- Same thing happens when I create a new model instead of opening the old one.- My regional settings are OK (I'm in Germany, so I had to swap comma and decimal point in the Win98 regional settings a long time ago)Can't find a thread dealing with this issue in gmaxsupport.com, so I guess I'll post on there as well.HELP?Please?Thank you,VH

Dunno. Worked fine for me. Did you upgrade or de-install 1.1 first? Any settings from 1.1 should be preserved when upgrading.Johan

Guest devaio

thats a big bug, it happens to me all the time

Sorry if you have already checked this, but are you sure that you have set both the units to metric and the size of the GMax units to metric?The one is in the units menu if I remember correct and the other in the preferences.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

same for me!i had a look at .asm file:; Final Status: 4 polys; Alpha Status: 0 polys; Light Status: 0 polys; Library Status: 0 polys;; Start Time: 11/25/02 16:33:06; Stop Time : 11/25/02 16:33:06;; Modeling units = 2.0000 :-newburn and for the "running model": Model units are 2.00 units/meter !!!!!!!!I don't know how to change that...i've checked preferences but nothing!Perhaps the best way is to change the .asm file and compile it but: "Do not edit by hand, re-run the tool instead." says the warning message! I'm about to ask rhumba or christian's help because there's a wall in front of me!

Now you confused me :).I don't see what the modeling units = 2.00 message has to do with the origional problem of this post. The source code GMax makes (or MakeMDL actually) always has that scale, so there is no change with GMax 1.2 for that problem.Also although it says not to edit the source, I'll keep editing it, as that is the only way to do some things :). I think they just added that text to prevent people from complaining with them after they changed something wrong.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

hello arno!I've said that because i've made a square polygon with gmax of 731mx731m and when i look the *.asm file :...........VERTEX_DEF 1462, 0, -1462,..........But when i launch FS2K2, the polygon is at correct scale!So sorry for the wrong information and the fact is i haven't got any problem with gmax1.2...:-lol In fact my problem for the moment is trying to re-compile the modified *.asm ... perharps have i forgotten a makefile?As you've said "it is the only way to do some things "Nicolas

Aaaaaaaaak!Don't ask me about Gmax... I've never learned it! I'd like to, but I never have the time. I think creating objects would be loads of fun, but I'm still concentrating on larger terrain features.Dick

Hi Nicolas,When you want to recompile an ASM file that GMax has made you can best use BGLC (you can find it in the BGL Compiler SDK).Arno

Arno

hello arno!yes that's what i've done but when i drag an drop my *.asm in bglc it doesn't work ... it's what i used to do with the rhumba's macros; Curious. I'm certainly missing something.So let's go back to work :-)

Hi cavok.Actually I can help here.If you open a DOS window and run BGLC ( "BGLC my.asm" ), it should give you a crude errorcode, and the line number of the error. That will help you narrow it down.Dick

hello rhumba!thanks for your answer... in fact, i had a lot of *.inc in the same directory and middleman and i think bglc become crazy !Now it works perfect and i'm about to explore the new opcodes.. for example, the bgl_texture_size sounds great for correcting mip-level. I have to thank you a lot for all your work but also arno, bob, christian .. i must forget some names ;(8 For the moment, as i wasn't totaly happy to see blurred textures when i use VTP1 method for the creation of sion's airport in switzerland, i came back to the "old" method using texpoly with loadbitmap ( and keep VTP method for all the rest ) ... but i saw in the new bgl-sdk :"These should be the only BGL opcodes you use to render scenery/aircraft polygons and lines. You should not use any previous-era rendering opcodes (those used in Flight Simulator 5.1 through Flight Simulator 2000)." Indeed, the old texpoly is framerate killer!So i'm looking towards those new opcodes.N.B. night is coming in paris and it's freezing !