Sign in to follow this  

Basic Airport Design

Guest calnaction

Hey everyone, As everyone knows, the airport scenery for just about any non major airport is pretty non existent. I fly a route from KMSP-KBIS fairly often as I fly this flight every year, and though the taxiways are accurate at KBIS, the buildings are terrible. I edited an afcad for it, but now I would really like to put in a few basic buildings and jetways. Is there anyway I could easily just drop a few basic terminal buildings down easily (KBIS is very simplistic) and maybe a parking lot or 2?-Cal

Hi Cal,I use Airport & Scenery Designer from Abacus. Very simple to use. Have a look at some of my buildings at www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngoGo to the bottom of the Index page and look at Add-on for FS2002.You can also use FS Design Studio, also from Abacus, to make your own buildings, aircraft, etc. For the buildings, a cheap digital camera is useful, Just take the pictures of the building and make a model and place the photographs on the sides of the model. Have a look at my Nat West Bank, called the Roundhouse. Just a cube with two triangular pieces on top and the photographs attached.Have a go.

Easiest would be to use Lago FSSE to add to the airport.No messing around with scenery designers etc. but you're limited to a fixed set of items you can add (though most can be scaled and rotated whatever way you want).

If you want some freeware options (as all the programs named now are payware):- Airport (www.airportforwindows.com)- GroundMaker (www.groundmaker.org)- FSSC (avsim.com/fssc)These will all allow you to place buildings etc. If you search for some macros on the web you don't have to design them yourself. But if you also want to design them you could use GMax (comes with Fs2002), FSDS or EOD.One small comment on FSSE. I personally don't like that tool, because of the way it works. It can not create a BGL scenery file for you. Therefore everybody who wants to use your scenery also has to buy the tool. That's why I don't think it's a good choice (my opinion of course :D).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hey Arno, you're back from the south?I find FSSE to be very nice. Indeed others also need it to see your handiwork, but that's not so much a problem.IMO it's one of those must-have addons, just like FSTraffic was for FS2000 (noone complained back then that you needed FSTraffic to use the tracks).Same with FSSoundscape. Adds so much to the ambience of the scenery it's almost unbelievable noone thought of it before.After you've used FSSE a while it then becomes easier to use the other tools (it's an easy entry into scenery design).I now use a combination of FSSE and FSSC generated scenery with FSSS sounds to spruce up some small airfields (fictional enhancements as I lack photos, but still). Works well.