Sign in to follow this  

Hardening a surface

Guest Claviateur

Hi,I have a photoreal airport done with Architect2002 photogrid method (flat texpoly). Now I want it to be hard so the aircraft when it rolls on it the surface won't be bumpy and we won't see dust coming out from the groud... I am looking for a method to make the surface hard with a polygon. Any idea?ThanksMichel

Guest JR Morgan

Hello Michel.. Have you tried a simple SCASM "Surface Type" macro to do your surface smoothing? 'Only requires about 5 lines of active code and is autogen-friendly. There's a macro for doing this in Reply #8 to Message #5 in Reading Topic #839 (Aug 15 02) in this forum's archiveIf you're using the FSC compiler in FS ARCH you can still outboard-compile the macro using SCASM 2.88, since it will create it's own .bgl for the (SurfaceType) smoothing and should not disturb other bgls created with other compilers.Hope it helps...J.R.

To expound more on what J.R. said...I too am an FS Arch user and here's what I do...Create the polygon in your main project so you know the geographic coordinates of each point. Then create a NEW project. Only create the flatten polygon by using the coordinates you derived from the Primary Project. I don't remember if you can cut and paste, but you can always do a Save As... from the main project and simply delete everything but the flatten polygon from the copy of the Main Project. If you are using SCASM as your compiler, go back into the Preferences menu of A2002 and change it to use FreeSC as the compiler. Now compile the 2nd project to create the BGL. Now change the compiler back to SCASM and carry on. Remember to remove that flatten polygon from the primary project as you no longer need it. Just be sure to put the BGL you just created along with the BGL you create from the primary project. The same procedure can be used with Flatten Polys and Exclusion regions alike.Hope this helps.Enrique

If I read your message correct Michel, you have a photoreal grid? Then this will not help much, but I have now almost removed all the bugs from my Bumpy tool and that will automatically generate the SurfaceType commands from an SCASM source file. It will read the polygon information and then create the code for you. This little tools allows the smooth surface to follow the aprons and taxiways and thus still keep the grass next to it nice and bumpy :)I just send the latest beta version to my tester today, so hopefully I can put it only somewhere this week (if no new bugs appear of course).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Claviateur

Thanks gentlemen, I will try all your tips :)I got an advise on Architect2002 forum to use the AreaSense method wish works but only with an area that is perfectly square or rectangular. No diagonal shapes can be used to do the hardening code check. So I will try all your tips indeed!CheersMichel

Not completely correct. I use the SenseBorder command in my code and to prevent problems with strange polygons I have splitted each polygon into triangles. Then for each triangle I write a SenseBorder command. Here is a piece of code as Bumpy made for me:Area( 5 51.555734 4.54762 11 )RefPoint( rel : .5 51.555734 4.54762 v1= 5000 v2= 32 )SenseBorder( :1-44 3044 4444 -28)Jump( :st ):1SenseBorder( :2-44 3044 -2839 -28)Jump( :st ):2SenseBorder( :3-44 3039 -28-10 -37)Jump( :st ):3SenseBorder( :4-44 -45-44 30-10 -37)Jump( :st ):4Jump( : ):stSurfaceType( 0 88 90 0 )EndAThe problem with the SenseBorder command is that all the points need to be clockwise and that strange shapes often give problems. That's why I could only solved the bugs in my tools once I had a good working triangulate algoritme (as I know have).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest Claviateur

Hi Arno,Thanks for the code and I can;t wait to try your Bumpy tool!Cheers!Michel

Michel,This is direct form FSArchitect support.I think the most optimum way is to use the SurfaceType command. WithArchitect you can place a SCASM Raw Code block in your scenery at the spotyou want to flatten.Then click the "Include Area and RefPoint" option, enter a scale = 1.0, Type= rel.In the code block, add the code for the SurfaceType command:SurfaceType( 0 5000 5000 0 )Check the SCASM documentation for the usage of the parameters, but thisdefines a square smoothing area 5000x5000 units. You can use multiple codeblocks in your Architect document to modify the surface type of differentareas.Hope this helpsBigH

I think it will be here in a day (or two), depending on the last beta tests. But as I said before it will only work if you made the polygons in a design program, not if they are part of a photoreal bitmap.PS. I haven't tested it with Architect either, so that might require some small changes. But I need an Architect source file to check that.Arno

Arno

Guest Claviateur

Arno, do you need an Architect document or a SCA compiled with Architect? Or a BGL? I can send you one if you wishCheersMichel

Guest Claviateur

Thanks Bigh, I think the post you mentioned is the one I asked on the Architect support forum and was advised ot use the Surface type wish works indeed but I am looking for a non Squary smooth surface Cheers!Michel

Hi Arno,This brings up a question I have been thinking of for quite some time, but never got around to asking ... I started using the AreaSense command long ago, after decompiling some stock MS .bgl's and seeing that's how it is done there (or rather, that's how the decompiler claims it is done there.... ). Then, I saw that you use the SenseBorder command for the same purpose and in almost exactly the same way. So, I'm just curious: Are there any pros and cons with using one or the other, that you know of?Best,/Bj

Hi Michel,Didn't realize you were Claviateur :) I guess you saw/will see my reply in the Architect forum too ... But just to say it here too: AreaSense (and I suppose SenseBorder too) certainly work for non-square areas; that's the whole point of using them for this purpose (since the SurfaceType will harden a rectangular surface by default, without using AreaSense). But see my other post, as well ... Best,/Bj

I too am trying to "harden" the surfaces created by FSArchitect. The Runways seem to be OK but all the polygons and taxiways are problems. Where can I find the support forum? there is no link available from the Architect home page. I'm a newbee so all this inserting code blocks is bambooziling to me!! Looking forward to help from the threads.