Sign in to follow this  
Guest Claviateur

Gmax LODs question and 3D scenery

Guest Claviateur

Hi,I designed my scenrey 3D objects with Gmax like the termninal etc... I remember reading somewhere that we can export a model to FS with different LODs? Does this apply for scenery objects or for aircraft only? Do you know how it works exactly and if it will improve frame rate?ThanksMichel

Guest gorchi

Hi Michel!Certainly GMAX can export aircraft in different complexities so it will be easier on FPS regarding to the distance, You are looking on the aircraft. For scenery objects I do not know since I do not make scenery in gmax, but in FSDS. There I use some traps with instructions like:IfVSize( :Ret5 10 2 ) and/orIfHSize( :Ret5 10 2 ) orIfVarRange( :Ret5 0 150 ) etc.Basically what I do is to not show some parts of the objects which are hardly visible at greater distances: fences, ladders, antennas (lines can appear so big at greater distance, which is weird), I apply textures to buildings when aircraft is closer than 1000m of object and so.This texture part is quite tricky because You must do another object (new box) and use Poly() instructions instead of TexPoly().I hope this will help You somehow.Regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

I think if you want to implement this in your GMax scenery, you can best take the following approach (if you use a library and API's).1) Make different versions of you building and all export them2) Add them all to the library3) Use the IfVSize / IfHSize or just a range check in the calling API to call the correct object (so actually you call a different object (GUID) every time).If you want I can make an example of such a calling API.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest christian

It certainly can be done, and SHOULD be done for high poly objects. LOD is the best approach to have high detail and good framerates.There are 2 ways. Either use per part LOD (read the SDK) or different models for different LODs like Arno sugeested. With the second approach you'll have to do some handcoding. I always meant to make a tutorial, but can't be bothered at the moment.Cheers, Christian

Guest hefy_jefy

Hi,I hope this question is related...I have a rotating airport beacon, and I want to make the rotating landing lights visible at 10K+Is this something I couild acheive with the LOD thing in MakeMDL?Geoff

Guest Claviateur

Hi Gentlemen,I just remembered this post that I placed a while ago. Thanks for your suggestions :) So as I hear, LODs work with sceneries. I will read the SDK and will see how I can make my models more frame rate friendly.Cheers!Michel