Sign in to follow this  

Mip Mapping / Anti Alaising?

Guest GiZBUG

Which should be checked from within FS2002?

Guest Max Cowgill

That depends on your system configuration and what you're trying to achieve; better performance, or better image quality. There is no universal rule that applies to every system that says you should turn on mip-mapping or FSAA... Post your system specs and whether you would rather have better image quality or performance and I'll tell you which settings to use for FS2k2.Max Cowgill

You should just about always turn on mip mapping... Most people will get worse fps with it off, unless you have a really ancient video card. Anti-aliasing is a matter of personal preference. Things might look better, but usually at a penalty. That size of that penalty could range from being very small to very big --depending on video card and drivers. Post your system specs!

Guest Max Cowgill

>You should just about always turn on mip mapping... Most >people will get worse fps with it off, unless you have a >really ancient video card. Anti-aliasing is a matter of >personal preference. Things might look better, but usually >at a penalty. That size of that penalty could range from >being very small to very big --depending on video card and >drivers. Post your system specs! Jason, I disagree with your statement that mip-mapping should just about always be turned on. Mip-mapping sacrifices visual quality for performance, and I think it should be turned off on systems with fast enough hardware. Of course, image quality is subjective and some people may say mip-mapping looks better than no mip-mapping, but I disagree.Max Cowgill

it really is a visual preference/tradeoff. try [,but don't have the fps showing] a couple of different setups, write down you're comments[to youreself] and compare.i found if i concentrated too much on fps i tended to bias myself against numbers i "thought" were too low. i've a celeron @766 geforce2 mx 400 PCi;bus @66 and a 19" 955df samsung,and by running the monitor @1168X840 leaving antialiasing off doesn't make much difference in visuals. but, YOU be the judge, make a short flight, save it, and refly with different settings. ZZZOOoommm tom t

I dont even know what The antialiasing is supposed to Affect. Scenery or the airplanes? Seems to have zero effect as all I have is a Diamond Viper V550. Airplane always looks jagged. You will want Mip Mapping. On my card, if I turn mip mapping off the textures look just awful and the pixel in the background "swim". Mip mapping will free up CPU power as what it dowes is the farther away from an object you are, that object will use a reduced quality texture. Mip mapped textures are not just one texture, they are a seris of textures within the exact same file. From high quality to low quality of a serties of about 5 steps. Highquality upclose. Low far away.Pete

Guest Max Cowgill

Pete, your Viper550 doesn't have Anti-Aliasing so that's why you see no difference in FS2k2 ;) The V550 is based on the original TNT chipset and Nvidia chips have only featured FSAA since the original Geforce.Maax Cowgill

Thought it might be something like that MaxPete

Right,MipMaping will use pre computed image (usually 9 step in direct x)that free cpu cycle from resizing the texture when displayed far from camera.When the mipmaping switch too close from the camera you will usually get the blurry texture that annoy a lot of guy. In direct X we can change easilly this distance.As programmer I tweaked this in my game to make the switching just a bit far than default setting so the user don't notice itand don't have blurred texture apparent.Dont know why MS didn't put the abilities to change this small setting, no chance you have only the one to switch mipmaping off (very bad for perf).My two centsDan