Sign in to follow this  

LandClass Assistant 1.3 - custom textures

First of all congratulations to John Cillis. 1.3 works really great.No more problems whith W long.0 (I must say you are really fast, John)and the FSUIPC interface makes the use of LCA even much easier.Really huge improvements.My question is; are there custom textures sets available to use with LCA?. If so, where can I download them?Or must I make my own textures? Tutorials for newbies somewhere?Thanks,Javier Polanco

When I originally designed LCA, I wanted it to be as easy as possible, so I designed it (and all the tutorials) for use with the FS default textures. That's what each number code cooresponds to. After the code goes into the .raw file and is processed by the bgl, FS knows to pull up the cooresponding default texture.Although it's possible that one could design custom texture sets for use with LCA, I haven't offered support in that area--I leave understanding of that process to more advanced users. I am afraid that many might get a false impression of LCA--that it requires knowledge of how to create textures. Many people stay away from scenery design for just that reason, I'm afraid.Somewhere in this forum, there was a brief discussion of the process by Rhumbaflappy (Dick). Search the threads--I believe Dick's your best resource if you want to use LCA for custom textures.Thanks BTW for your great comments!Regards,John

Hi Javier.If you are looking for alternate terrain texture sets for FS2002's landclass, the field is pretty sparse. Lennart Arvidsson has a partial set for North Europe, for FS2002, in AVSIM's library. I think there is a commercial set available for Europe, and more recently the US. Lennart has decided not to produce more sets.There are several sets for CFS2, but these are not suitable for FS2002.The FS2000 Terrain SDK has a small amount of info on creating terrain texture sets.I think that's about it.Dick

Hello Dick,Allow me to add that M. Michael has created"A modified texture set for the default FS2002 summer textures. It will give the grass and meadows during the summer months a fresher and greener look. Designed for the European continent."He has taken some of the principal default textures and made them less dark and quite appealing. This can be found in the library.Best regards.Luis

Thanks Dick and Luis,I'm checking the texture sets you've mentioned above to see if they suit.Regards, Javier

Maybe a stupid question but I forgot to mention.Can I use "just" one (or some) of the textures that come within a texture set not deleting the default one(same name)?If so would it became a custom texture and have to rename it?Where should I place this new texture?I think there's an assignment number for custom in LCA(253?)Does it mean that I could use just one custom texture per bgl.?If all this is true (optimistic)then should I place a texture folder containing the new textures beside the scenery folder (bgl.) and activate it through the scenery library?I hope it doesn't sound too crazy.Javier

Hi Javier.You can assign a landclass vertex to display a CUSTOM texture, while assigning all the other verticies to display transparent ( #254 ).A single vertex will blend it's assignment to the four surounding grountiles, but in the case of CUSTOM, That assignment will not allow blending, but overides all 4 tiles. So one assignment will place CUSTOM in 4 groundtiles.#252 is CUSTOM with seasons. #253 is non-seasonal CUSTOM.The groundtiles affected have a paticular name associated with their world locations. Each LOD13 Area on earth has a name. LandCalc2 was created in order to reveal those special names.--------------------'jmf' has made a valuable discovery. He has found that CUSTOM textures smay reside in the 'scenedbworldtexture' folder with the other landclass textures. This also allows them to be called as VTP polygons, and to display autogen. This also allows the use of default landclass and CUSTOM in the same BGL. This requires a landclass BGL to be in a scenery project folder's 'scenery' sub-folder, and that project folder should not contain a 'texture' sub-folder'.You can display a CUSTOM set with a local 'texture' subfolder, if the landclass BGL doesn't have any default landclass textures assigned in that BGL ( just use #253, #252, and #254 ).-------------------A 'localized' set of alternate, default replacements can be in a local folder, but ALL the set must be in that folder, or the missing textures must be copied to it. ( I can't remember the autogen rule with this offhand... but it may require the complete set of autogen to reside in local folder as well... Gerrish Grey has posted some on that in the past ).I had found that missing textures could be copied to the main "FS2002Texture" folder, but then autogen is lost ( I think ), so that doesn't seem to be a good solution.Creating a local folder with ALL the textures and autogen isn't a bad solution, but it does eat up some harddrive space. If you go that route, then a copy of the "worldlc.bgl" ( the whole default landclass BGL ) can be copied to the local 'scenery' folder, and added to the Scenery Library. I've used this method for a long time to add seasons to the season-less CFS2. Then you can activate different sets, or return to the original by the Scenery Library.Dick

Hi Dick Thanks very much for the information.I gess it's a matter of trying all possibilities.Regards, Javier