Sign in to follow this  
arno

How to add FS2000 moving vehicle roads to FS2002?

Guest GabrielR

I've done a search all around and I found no results. can it be done? or am I just dreaming?

Hi Gabriel. FS2000 roads work just fine in FS2002, and the lights move at night. You can make them if you like. But they will tax the CPU and may lower the framerates. Also, they don't cling to the mesh, but may be "tied" at points to the mesh, to reduce their floating and dipping below the mesh.It may be possible to add very thin roads on top of the default FS2002 roads, and still have the night lights effect.----------------------The FS2002 terrain SDK states that effects can be applied to VTP textures, just like waves are tied to shorelines. So an ingenious designer might be able to use FS2002 style roads with this effect.My 'TDFMacros'.inc do not make a provision for effects, but the code can be easily added to the ASM file. TextureDataStart label word texturemark_0 label word VTPTextureName "MinorRdWi.bmp;MinorRdHw.bmp;MinorRdSp.bmp;MinorRdSu.bmp;MinorRdFa.bmp;MinorRdLm.bmp" VTPTextureType 3,1,0,4 BYTE "roadlights" BYTE 0 texturemark_1 label wordTextureDataEnd label wordNote that the VTPTextureType has the second parameter set to 1, to flag for effects, and that that line is followed by the name and a Zero byte termination. This should work, and could be used to replace the default roads. The effect, "roadlights", would need to be created, as this is a fictious effect. It would probably need to be in the effects folder, and named roadlights.fxThis would be a large amount of work, and is still untested, but the SDK wouldn't lie, would it? ;)---------------------Note: there is no way you can just replace a texture or anything like that to get these effects. Either FS2000 roads need to be made, or new FS2002 roads with the effect attached to the texture, and placed by VTPm2 lines.Dick

Guest GabrielR

Thanks for the comprehensive response, Finally I can say I understood something!!! . as a newbie, I will have to start reading the effects and Scenery SDK, maybe I'll be ready to add this by the time FS2004 with a whole new set of tricks comes out!!

One note, we have some problems with the Fs2000 roads in our scenery (NL2000). In Fs2002 the light flicker, they dissapear now and then. Maybe it has to do with the flatten we used or the layering, but we haven't found a way around it yet. So we are transforming to the new mesh format.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog