Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Waterclass help!

Hi!How I can change the color of sea in fs2002...? Please, step by step...Pablo

Just a small caveat. It seems that some of the water textures are not present, or, at least, I seem to be unable to find some.So, you may change the water class and not see any difference.Best regards.Luis

Hi Luis.All the textures have a name such as "010b2wa1.bmp".I have found one missing: "012b2wa1.bmp" ( described as Outflow Water

Thanks, Dick. That is precisely the texture that I wanted - the mouth of a few rivers would look more realistic in brown.Perhaps it is just as easy to make a new textures, but why wasn't it recognized?I wonder if the Amazon is bright blue or brown? Off to have a look.Best regards.Luis

Hi Luis.Shouldn't it be brownish? ( Maybe depending on the season ) And certainly the Rio Negro should be brown, especially where it joins the Amazon.I think there is LOTS of room for water texture improvement. I also note the textures are designated "b2", but could we have other textures for other regions, and the terrain engine displaying them correctly by region? Dick

Hello Dick,The Amazon has the greatest flow of any river in the world, so it is always brown, and much of the sea around its mouth, also.As you say, water textures and ground textures will certainly see future regional developments. Perhaps even autogen tree textures, since building textures have regional variants.But, as you obviously took a look at the Amazon, did you not notice something fascinanting?Summer and Winter autogen trees displayed together in the Fall! How did they do that?I took off from Macapa airport (SBMQ) and was immediately struck by this curious mixture. You may not have noticed, but I have some autogen tree textures that I put together for my own use, and it was apparent right away.The land class surrounding the airport shows Winter palms and deciduous trees, while the land class a bit farther out shows Summer palms and deciduous. If you are using the default tree textures, the palms will look the same, but the different deciduous trees are quite visible.Am I hallucinating? Has nobody else come across this? Does Gerrish know?I suppose that it is not possible to annotate using more than one texture sheet, so, as a guess, it may be something to do with latitude bands and the interaction with land class.Imagine the possibilities - with some custom autogen trees, one could mix and match texture sheets to get stunning and varied effects. Of corse, this is Flight Simulator, not Nature Guide Simulator, and from 5000 feet, none of this is visible. Yet, interesting, nevertheless.This needs more study, so I shall try changing the land class and seeing the result.Best regards.Luis

Hi Luis.That very airport shows an oddity with the airport background poly. It is a VTPm2 landclass poly, like all backgrounds are... but change from summer to winter, and you'll note an odd checkerboarding of the LOD13 Areas, concerning winter and summer textures. Apparently that area is blended ( crudely ), between the equatorial seasonal difference.I remember Orlando Sotomayor had problems with the autogen type in Puerto Rico, and I'm wondering if this is the same type of situation he ran into... a regional or equatorial 'blending' ( though Puerto Rico should not have any equatorial problem ).Looking at 'seasons.bgl' with TDFViewer, reveals there are 4 seasonal types: 0 = Oceans ( no seasons )1 = Polar2 = Northern3 = SouthernLooking at the Carribean and South America, I can see the possibility of problems where these types adjoin over land.It seems 'regions.bgl' also control landclass and autogen display ( there are 8 types ), as well as slope and height... both South and North America have different regions, and the South's blends up the Carribean, while the north extends down Central America to the Northern Andes... so that may also lead to the confusion. So Puerto Rico may sit on a regional types border, as well as seasonal. Your airfield most probably sits on a seasonal type border.Christian Stock has looked at these filestypes a bit, and I believe they can be altered, but I don't know what the effects of doing that would be. I think just the borders will display the "checkerboarding".Looking at 'worldwc.bgl' I don't see any use of values 7-12 ( brownish water ), but there should be! What about the Mekong, or Mississippi ( nicknamed the 'Big Muddy' ). So there is much room for improvement with waterclass.I remember pictures of the Amazon coastal area, where the brownish freshwater of the river fanned out to the ocean for hundreds of kilometers. I guess MS has provided us with the means for change, but with their data, had not the time or manpower to accurately model all the world's water types. I see the oceans are classed by Plankton concentrations, depth, tropical. Inland sets are blue or brown... but I haven't found evidence of brown, and perhaps that's why they forgot to include type #012 in the set of textures.Dick