Sign in to follow this  
Guest Frank Betts

help w/ fssc runway elevation!

Would somebody assist me with a problem using fssc? I'm trying to install a dirt runway (1500ft) on an island near Thunder Bay. I've got the correct coord., length, and proper heading, and exclude the visual scenery. After using export scenery wizard to 2002 pro, the runway is in the proper location but it's approx 6ft higher than the surrounding elevation resulting when I taxi off the dirt runway, I drop 6ft and ding a prop everytime. Would appreciate help from any pro out there!!! (Latest version fssc 1.5.4)

Hi hawkdriver.This is not exactly the answer you need, but for a dirt runway, a VTP polygon would be a natural, as it is dirt! If you don't want the terrain meshed, you could then make an LWM landmask flatten at the desired height ( in meters ). The AFD, ils, vor etc... still need to be made, if desired.-----------If you still want ot use FSSC:A tool that may help you is TDFCalc3. It uses FSUIPC to display not only TDF information, but realtime info for Lat-Long and altitude. Just install FSUIPC, slew to the area of your runway, and start TDFCalc3. It will then display very acccurate info for altitude and position.Dick

Guest Frank Betts

Hey Hawkdriver. Just put your plane on the runway in question. Then hit the "Y" key to go to slew mode. note the elevation at the top of the screen. Convert that to meters. round it off to the lowest number. As in if the elevation was say, 10 foot the height in meters would be 3.048. Just round it off 3.0 meters. (default readings in Fssc is meters remember). put that in the elevation field. If it still seems to dissapear in places on the runway, then add the flatten switch included with the program (Area16) put the 4 corners of the flatten markers tight around the runway length and width. I do this everytime all the time with out fail. http://flightsimsetc.dhs.org/content.php?m=v&t=utilitiesGrab the convert measuring utility here. Handy item.

One note, that altitude you see in slew mode is not the altitude of the ground. It's the altitude of the reference point of your plane and for the default Cessna that is about 3 ft of the ground. So you need to correct for that.If you make a flatten and set it to the value you entered for the runway this isn't important anymore of course.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Frank Betts

All the scenery I have made I did just like i mentioned and never had a problem.

I think Arno has hit the nail right on the head... that's why the elevation is off 6 feet, because the altitude entered into FSSC was wrong to begin with.The default FS display doesn't show the actual ground altitude, but the aircraft's Center of Gravity altitude ( I think ), which will be several feet off the ground.TDFCalc gives the actual ground altitude, as read by FSUIPC.Dick

Guest Frank Betts

I need to go and redo all my scenery's then

To Dick,Frank,and Arno- you guys are out of sight!!!!!! The mini problem I was having is fixed. I was not taking into account the airplane height (c172sp). I came up with a difference of a little under 5ft but, it's right on the money. Anyway I appreciate the support and quick responses! I'll "finger" this out one day! Hawkdriver:-rotor

Guest Frank Betts

Aright Hawkdriver. Glad to see your up and running with that problem solved. I see differences in just about anyway you take an elevation reading off of Fs2002. That is why I just use the slewed height on my settings. I was always told to throw a few feet in here and there for good measure :-lol Should do it Arno's way to be safe though, learn the habits early. Guess I just have a way of getting away with it though!