Sign in to follow this  

ROADS of FS2002

How can I delate horrible FS2002 default roads? I could not find the bgl.Thanks a lot

I'd like to know, too. The roads in my area are so bad (intersections in the middle of rivers etc, etc) I'd rather fly without them.

Guest PaulL01

Aye!Would be great if we could simply add better data and re-write the road instructions much the same as we can with the mesh! Dont forget the poor rivers too! Yuck!!!

Guest daves0

I just asked a similar question in the main forum.Is there a way to generate new road textures???Some that look like roads instead of jaggies?Also..the default roads look like they were painted over the terrain...and not really a part of it.Is it that difficult to change those???

New road textures are impossible to do, yet...It is possible to move the original roads, but it is alot of work.You need to learn about VTP to do it.Search for roads and VTP in this forum and I think you will find that many people are working on this.

New road textures are not impossible at all!. For ordinary 2 lane roads you have to modify or make new files for the roadssu.bmp roadslm.bmp and roadshw.bmp files. You can use photoshop and create an alfa channel and save the file in tga format. Then you make the mipped bmp file with the DXTBmp program you can find here http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/index.htmFor the best appearance i fs you must make the ordinary 2 lane roads narrower and darker. Then the roads will blend a lot better into the landscape.example:http://home.online.no/~to-opl/artimages/vei1.jpghttp://home.online.no/~to-opl/artimages/vei2.jpghttp://home.online.no/~to-opl/artimages/vei3.jpghttp://home.online.no/~to-opl/artimages/vei4.jpghttp://home.online.no/~to-opl/artimages/vei5.jpg

No, I'm afraid there is no easy tool to do the job yet.I am using a GIS program (mapinfo) and some custom code to create FS roads, railroads, streets, rivers, streams and shores, but it is not quite ready for release yet, and you will need some coding experience to customize it to your data.Here is an example of what it looks like (M

Hello Paul,Using TerraScene and TerraBuilder, it is possible to do what you mention.Please see the simple instructions by Dick Ludowise in the TerraBuilder forum.Best regards.Luis

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that using the terrascene/terrabuilder path what you are doing is creating loads of custom textures that substitute the landclasses. This approach has the drawback of losing seasons, and taking lots and lots of HD space.LWM and VTP are much more efficient: My scenery covers an area of 33,822 square miles (87,599 square km), and the whole thing is at about 5.5 Mbytes at the moment.That is not to say I favor LWM and VTP over anything else. If I had aerial photography of the region, I'd do whatever necessary to put it into FS, but vector data is so much easier to get than aerial photography. And since terrascene/terrabuilder input is vector data as well, it seems like a bit of a waste. Then again, there is the issue of CUSTOM textures being nicer to the CPU than LWM and VTP... I guess there has to be a balance somewhere.Cheers,Juan.

Hi Juan.I'm very enthused about your process. It will save loads of harddrive space, and will be equal or better in quality to the Terrascene derived bitmaps.For a scenery of your size, it makes the most sense.--------------------What Luis is refering to, is a way I've found, with the help of 'jmf', to display a transparent bitmap that has just the city streets of a small area. It is displayed as VTPm2 polygons, and called as CUSTOM textures to allow the use of CUSTOM Autogen. It's a nice way to display a city or small town, and avoids some of the problems of photoreal, as that excludes VTP and LWM polys.Actually, that method may complement yours. Any layer can be used for displaying a transparent texture ( 8-bit with alpha ). When called as "253" ( landclass non-seasonal CUSTOM ), it is used as a landclass. The drawback? As you indicate, each LOD13 Area will need it's own CUSTOM transparency ( as well as autogen ). For cities or towns, this is still not a great amount of textures, but for an area as large as yours, it is quite a pile of textures. :)Combining your method, with this method, could be a good compromise, as having a CUSTOM autogen for specific towns and cities isn't such a bad thing. The underlying landclass can be used, or a different layer used for VTP polys to give a different texture "background" to areas of the city... grass or concrete?-----------------------------On another note, I've been having some trouble with displaying VTP lines, and VTP polys in the same BGL... MS avoided mixing VTP polys and lines, so perhaps they should be compiled separately.Dick

With DefArea it is possible to remove the road layer from the terrain for the coordinates one specify. The "old dogs" of this forum can correct me if I'm wrong. =o)