Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Where are the roads?

Hi,I hesitated to request help here for this issue, but I couldn't find a solution to my problem.I have North America and Europe default sceneries installed, but I can see the roads only when I'm in America. No roads in Europe, England, France or Italy. I can't understand what's the point. Maybe I haven't some roads .bgl file for Europe? Where are the roads in FS2002? Are they drawed into the mesh textures or are they autonomous .bgl files?Thanks for any suggestion.Francesco

The roads are defined in the BGL files. For each area these files are in one of the subfolders in the scenedb folder of Fs2002.If they don't appear in Europe it indeed looks like your are missing some BGL.Or first make sure that the layer is turned on of course :). Do you see lakes, etc btw? These are also in BGL files in the same folder (but different files).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Yes, I can see everything - city textures, lakes - but not roads.Could you tell me please which prefix have road files and which one you have in your folder?Francesco

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002SCENEDBEasthemeurnwScenery" or "C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002SCENEDBEasthemeurswScenery"The filenames are of the 'rdl' type ( like "rdl552012.bgl" ). There should be about 30 roadline files in each folder.

I found what was the matter.I compared my directories' files with CD .cab scenery files. They were many less. Tried to extract files from the .cab directly by Winzip, and I had an error about in the middle of the extraction. Actually, when extracting a certain file Winzip encounters problems, so it stops extracting, and the files following the corrupted one are not extracted. So I bypassed the corrupted file, and extracted manually the remaining files.Then I checked all the other scenedb directories, to see if the thing happened to them too, and I found a certain number of similar situation.Surely my CD has some problems. Thanks everybodyFrancesco

Does that mean if I delete the rdl files I can eliminate the roads but not affect anything else?

Hi martinpd.Yes, you can delete them. Microsoft keeps the roads in separate BGLs. ( They did that because mixing VTP tyes in the same BGL produces sometimes odd results, not because they wanted things organised ).Better yet, make a new folder called "oldroads", or something, and move the BGLs there. Then you can restore them if you change your mind.Dick