Sign in to follow this  
Guest gorchi

FS2002 style roads...

Guest gorchi

Hi guys!I can allmost say heureka today. I finally managed to put my texture for FS2002 style roads and they showed up in FS2002!Okay, hee is what I did. I used SCM2VTP and FSSC at the beginning. In FSSC I draw roads by my map I have got, then compiled BGL so the SCA files stayed there. Some roads were marked as major roads, some were marked as minor orads, some as roads. The last two showed as roads in FS2k2. Funny, rivers showed as shorelines with crashing waves :-eekThen I passed this SCA file (8+3 notation!) to SCM2VTP that produced the OUTPUT.ASM. Okay, then I have edited this file especially paying attention to VTPTextureId instruction where the first number references to numer of texture at the end of file which is currently looks like this:

TextureDataStart	label   word   ;Highways	texturemark_0   label   word	   ;VTPTextureName "1162"		VTPTextureName "1139"		VTPTextureType 2, 0, 0, 1   ;Ordinary road	texturemark_1   label   word		VTPTextureName "xroadsu.bmp;xroadwi.bmp;xroadlm.bmp"		VTPTextureType 2, 0, 0, 1   ;Dirtroads	texturemark_2   label   word		VTPTextureName "1158"		VTPTextureType 2, 0, 0, 1   ;mhm? - roads marked with VTPTextureID 3,0 would show as shorelines	texturemark_3   label   word		VTPTextureName "1025"		VTPTextureType 2, 0, 0, 2   ;???	texturemark_4   label   word		VTPTextureName "1059"		VTPTextureType 2, 0, 0, 2   ;fertig	texturemark_5   label   wordTextureDataEnd  label   word

Okay, VTPTextureID 0,0 is mapped to texturemark_0, VTPTextureId 1,0 is mapped to texturemark_1 and so on... But note my custom roads in texturemap_1: they are for summer, winter and for night only although by SDK we could use also autumn and spring ones also.Then I put this ASM file to BGLC and produced nice little BGL with roads.Okay, what stayed was making textures. In SCENEDBWORLDTEXTURES You can find textures for roads, let say roadssu.bmp and other from this set. This is quite tricky part. If YOu open these textures in Imagetool, they are 8bit with indexed color:-eek! Okay, I opened them in photoshop, make some editing and then packed them back with imagetool. I found out, that these textures must and they only can be in 8-bit format; in DXT1 or DXT3 format it crashed FS!!!I put those textures in my scenery's texture folder (not in FS texture or SCENEDB... folder!) and voila! Roads begin to show quite different textures.The biggest problem I found is to properly extract alpha channel from original texture. I tried BMP2000 but hmmm... texture was not as it looked in imagetool. Okay, this will be for my colleague Michellangelo:-lol:-lol!Well, I hope this will solve one mistery of FS2002.. Now I must continue with my scenery otherwise FS2004 will come too soon...:-hahRegards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Thanks for the info :). That's interesting, while working on our VTP/LWM scenery we found that if you do not use DXT1 for the textures (on the polygons) FS crashes. But for the roads it seems to be the other way around.We haven't tested roads with other textures yet, because the person making our design tool is still implementing them in the program.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest gorchi

Arno!If possible, please do try it like I did. Maybe You will have more luck with other types of textures. I was quite surprised yesterday when I started FS about 10 times with DXT1 and DXT3 textures and FS crashed... Huh!Oh one more thing I forgot to mention in my original post. Those numbers in VTPTextureName instructions are connected to numbers in terraintextures.cfg (hmm I am not certain if I remember it correctly since I am at work now) so every number is connected to array of bitmaps. But what I do not understand quite well is why there are two sets of texturesm one above and the other under meridian (for south and north half of Earth??) and the upper has highways while the other does not. And curriously enough, in this cfg there is no sign of vroadsxx.bmp although they are present in scenedbworldtexture folder.Okay, hope this will clear those numbers in the code!Regards to all,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net