Sign in to follow this  
Guest GerrishGray

Object becomes a box from distance

Guest Claviateur

Hello,I am placing some objects from the object library like fire trucks and fuel trucks however some of them when seen from a distance they become a plain color box and if we get closer they turn back into the actual object shape and some of them if we get very close they become tiny onesAny idea why this strange this is hapening?ThanksMichel

Sounds like the "draw distance" for the low poly "box" model might need to be set to a further distance so that the low poly "box" is only drawn when you are so far away you would not notice it. Could you post your code for the above? as it's hard to give you a good answer with out looking at the library calls. that might help with your second problem as well. Dan

Guest Claviateur

Hi Dan,Here is the code from the Lirbary Object Fire Truck that is turning into a box when I get a little far from it and then it becomes very tiny if I get very close to it; MACRO: Fire Truck 1 Area( b 33:49:12.986939 35:29:26.597339 20 ) RefPoint( rel :noObj 0.100000 33:49:12.986939 35:29:26.597339 v1= 37040 v2= 32767 ) RotatedCall( :rot 0 0 21.69 ) Jump( : ):rot CallLibObj( 0 C545A2A4 11D2E2EC 1000849C 2AE60C5A )Return EndAThanks! Michel

Nothing to see in that code (expect a missing lanel noObj again).I think it is just some code that is in the object library then. Is it a default MS one?Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Claviateur

Hi Arno,Yup I think those are the default ones because I do not need to install any texture for them in FS and they look very basic and fps friendly. Strange because I placed some baggage carts as well from the library and they show fine from far and close.Only the fire truck and the fuel trucks turn into a box when I am a little far from themCheers!Michel

I think I tested some of the default MS objects one day and noticed the same then. But I can't completely remember and as long as the distance at which it becomes a box isn't that small I don't think it's a problem.The only solution to solve it would be to change the library, but because it is a default one that's not a very good idea to do.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Claviateur

Oh I see. Actually I picked the default library because they are fps friendly. Here are screnshots of the FS phenomenon with those objectsCheers :)Michel

hello michel! or salut michel!those macros have probably been created with a LOD switche as we use in Gmax. Perhaps are they used in a dynamic scenery somewhere?If it'm right, you can't do anything :-fume Good luck!

Guest Claviateur

Salut :)I do not know if they were used in any dynamic scenery but I think they are the default FS2002 object libraries. I think you are right about the LOD thing. Too bad it is hapening because I could have placed many without frame rate impact :/ oh well I will have to do mine in GmaxCheers!Michel

Faced with the very same problem, I replicated model of the trucks in gMax (they are rather simple) and covered with M$ textures. Frankly I like only the snow plow and the pushtruck. Firetruck deserves to be better.Ted

Guest Claviateur

I agree that is exactly what I will be doing then I will find how to put them in an object Lirbary :)CheersMichel

Guest GerrishGray

Hi guysOnce again this is FS Architect -generated code and contains the same errors as the other example we have been talking about. For a start, there is no PerspectiveCall() and this is perhaps what causes the scaling problem. Check the other thread for details of how to put this right.There may be other causes for the loss of texturing beyond a certain range, but let's get the calling code right first ...CheersGerrish

Guest luissa

>There may be other causes for the loss of texturing beyond a >certain range, but let's get the calling code right first Hi Gerrish,Yes there may be other causes. Some time ago I tried to decompile one standard library BGL. However, with labels "without meaning" it was hard to follow the code and I gave up. I did not looked to the "calling" BGL as used by MS. I tried my own simple calling BGL, with a proper PerspectiveCall. May be (?) MS uses a calling method where multiresolution is decided in the calling part of the code.Regards, Luis

Guest GerrishGray

Hi LuisThe multi-resolution part of the default MS library objects is embedded within the objects themselves and does not need any special calling sequence. Did you have a problem when you called the objects with your own calling macros?The loss of texturing on gMax-created objects beyond a range of about 6km has a well-known cause arising from a mistake in makemdl.exe - the textures for 3D objects are incorrectly defined as aircraft textures. Another possible cause is incorrect use of the 'texture-size' parameter required in the 'floating point' texture definition list. But it seems that there might be some other causes as well in some circumstances, possibly resulting from an interaction between the internal frame rate optimisation code that has been added to the scenery engine in FS2002 and factors such as visibility ranges and the 'image power' parameter in the Area() block header. CheersGerrish

Guest luissa

>Hi Luis >>The multi-resolution part of the default MS library objects >is embedded within the objects themselves and does not need >any special calling sequence. Did you have a problem when >you called the objects with your own calling macros? Hi Gerrish,Yes I had the same problem as depicted in the images shown here by Michel. I noticed that multi-resolution was embedded in the objects, as you say, but I did not investigated much. I think we are referring to FS2000 libraries and so ... >The loss of texturing on gMax-created objects beyond a range >of about 6km has a well-known cause arising from a mistake >in makemdl.exe - the textures for 3D objects are incorrectly >defined as aircraft textures. Another possible cause is >incorrect use of the 'texture-size' parameter required in >the 'floating point' texture definition list. But it seems >that there might be some other causes as well in some >circumstances, possibly resulting from an interaction >between the internal frame rate optimisation code that has >been added to the scenery engine in FS2002 and factors such >as visibility ranges and the 'image power' parameter in the >Area() block header. ... FS2002 causes are not responsible. However I am not sure about what you mean by 'image power' in the Area() block header.Kind Regards, Luis