Sign in to follow this  
arno

FSDS V2 and objects from FSDSV1.6b

Guest gorchi

Luisa and other guys using FSDS2!I have just installed FSDS V2 and I have been playing around with it. I tried to import some "old" models and first of all I saw message "FS2k condition checks, AA tags and transformations are not valid in FS2002. Remove?". Does this means, that if I set rotation for windsock because of wind, visibility range for an object (33b) etc. will stay or they will be removed?The next thing which is quite dramatic is DirectX "error 887602f8: Render target buffer lost!". In 5 minutes I got this error at least 15 times and FSDS V2 does not recover from this error like V16b ;( And the first error came up when starting to convert an old object...Does anybody know the resolution for this, becase in V16b I got this error only when FS2k2 was runing in the background.Thanks in advance!Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

"FS2k condition checks, AA tags and transformations are not valid in FS2002. Remove?". I know that the AA tags have to be removed, but this only applies to aircraft anyways. As for the rotations on your windsock - I'm not sure, but play around with it a bit. Most of the features aren't well documented, but if you experiment a bit you can usually figure it out.I "think" that you can just go re-apply your transformations without any problem, it's just that v2.0 handles it differently than v1.6I got that "target buffer lost" error a few times too. It seemed to only affect the 3D-view. I can't remember what I was doing that specifically triggered it, but it was not unrecoverable. Just save your part, and reload it and that seemed to fix the problem for me.Overall, I'm pretty happy with FSDS 2.0. Most of the new features eem to be for aircraft designers, but I like the way it handles textures and materials now.- Martin

Guest luissa

Dear Goran,My present version of FSDS works fine with FS2002. In the past I had to minimize the FS2002 window to come back to the FSDS window, but not aynmore. Is that a problem with your setup? I really do not know. I also can not answer to your other question. I say YES to the Remove question since I adjust manually any animations that I need for my models.With the availability of tools for scenery design - gMax and freeware, it is difficult to market a commercial product aimed at scenery design alone. I suspect that the main decision to update FSDS was ditacted by aircraft design factors and not by scenery design. FSDS1 had more than one update since its first release. I think that Louis Sinclair and Abacus will provide again with an updadte for FSDS2 if specific funcionalities for scenery design are added to the product. Although I recognize that it is a tool mainly targeted for aircraft design, it is also my opinion that it is unvaluable if you want complete control over your scenery design project. On one hand you have a CAD type of graphical interface. On the other hand you can generate plain SCASM code and change/add/supress/adapt whatever you want.Furthermore, version 2.0 produces "new FS2002 SCASM 2.88 codes" and objects created with FSDS2.0 are as "frame rate friendly" as gmax created ones. You have not anymore DBX() instructions and the produced SCASM files are very clean and readable. With SCASM2.88 and BGLAnalyse2.1 you can go to a BGL and come back to a TXT file. It is like having a "scenery developing system".As you has already probably discovered, I am an happy user of FSDS2.0!Kind Regards,Luis

Guest gorchi

Hi Luis!Soory if it sounded a little bit crude but I loved FSDS before but it surprised me that so many errors came in such short time. But I still love this programm and is definitelly more close to me than gmax. And I use it solely for scenery design.Anyway, here is another question for all. I cannot find how to make double sided polygon. Does anybody know, how it is done in FSDS2?Thanks again,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Guest Cazador

Dear All:I have updating some FSDS1.6 to FSDS2.0 and i'm getting black lines between two textured polygons,when i compiled the macro eith FSDS1.6 everything were O.K, but when i compile with FSDS2 i see that texture effect.I got that effect with gmx, i'm thinking to return to use FSDS1.6 to make large building with adjacent texuterd polygons.I see the the bgl and code generated by FSDS2 are bigger than the generated by FSDS1.6 , why?Thanks.Alfredo Mendiola LoyolaLima Peru

Guest luissa

Hi Goran,May be there are other and simpler ways to make a 2 side (with different textures) polygon, but here is one:1 - add a part as a one-side polygon 2 - texture that polygon as needed3 - go to part mode; copy and paste that part4 - at this stage you have 2 identical (coincident) parts; make one current and go to polygon mode; flip the polygon5 - apply a different texture to the flipped polygon if needed6 - go to part mode and select the 2 identical parts (with different textures at this stage). Merge the 2 parts into 1.7 - The merged part displays OK but has a double number of points. Do a "SNAP TO SCALE" and the duplicated points are eliminated.Alfredo: I do not understand your adjacent polygon problem. With regard to the larger BGL size produced by FSDS2, the reason is that floating point numbers need more bytes to be represented. Fortunately the code is faster!Kind Regards,Luis

>Furthermore, version 2.0 produces "new FS2002 SCASM 2.88 >codes" and objects created with FSDS2.0 are as "frame rate >friendly" as gmax created ones.Sorry to say, but my first tested showed that on one of the fields I made the scenery got slower by using the API's from FSDS2. The API's from FSDS1.6 were faster.I haven't tested it yet at other airports, but I was a little dissapionted when I noticed this.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest gorchi

Luis!Thank You very much, I will do that. I hoped I will not need to do it this way but if FSDS2 experienced users do it this way, then okay.Regrads,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

>Dear All: >>I have updating some FSDS1.6 to FSDS2.0 and i'm getting >black lines between two textured polygons,when i compiled >the macro eith FSDS1.6 everything were O.K, but when i >compile with FSDS2 i see that texture effect. >>I got that effect with gmx, i'm thinking to return to use >FSDS1.6 to make large building with adjacent texuterd >polygons. >>I see the the bgl and code generated by FSDS2 are bigger >than the generated by FSDS1.6 , why? >>Thanks. >Alfredo Mendiola Loyola >Lima Peru Alfredo,I have also noticed that. A thin black line in the end of the texture when I have several polygons of textures attached side to side of each other. Strange!

Guest Cazador

Dear All:I have noticed a thin black line in the end of the texture when I have several polygons of textures attached side to side of each other. Strange! I think that the new code wrap the texture to polygon, for example i have a 256*512 pixel texture i split it in 4 256*256 textures, then i created 4 polygons , i applyed each texture to each polygon , but in some part when the border of some texture is black i see a thin black line on the opposite texture side.Thanks.Alfredo Mendiola LoyolaLima Peru

Can you maybe post a piece of the code where the problem occurs? It must be somewhere in the calculation of the texture mapping in the vertex list.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog