Sign in to follow this  
Guest christian

Textures only appear close-up

Hi,I have made some small objects with GMax and created some textures.They appear fine in FS2002 but the textures disappear after about 50 meters away. The objects then appear grey. As I get closer the textures re-appear. The night textures work the same way.I have changed the ambient and diffuse colors to something other than grey but this makes no difference.I noticed there is a 'Default Fallback Color' in the GMax MakeBGL utility, which by default is checked. I unchecked this but it made no difference.I am using Gmax 1.2 - the texture mapping does seem more complicated in this version than in the previous. Am I missing something obvious here?thanksJames.

Guest rafaelds

Same thing for me.Everything appeared white from a little far away, not mattering the fallback color.The solution was to use a bigger value for V2, which is the object radius.MakeMdl does not allow to change V2 value, the only way to to it is creating a library with fsregen and then calling the object from another bgl with a macro.Or perhaps editing the ASM files.Rafa

I think it has nothing to do with the v2 value, that determines if the entire object appear or not and not alone the texture.It is probably caused by MakeMDL defining the wrong type of texture to your object (they use TEXTURE_AIRCRAFT by default, while for buildings it should be TEXTURE_BUILDING). So replace that and it should work OK.My site (click in the banner below) also contains some info about this problem.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Yes I found that when I place another object a few meters away (in the same BGL) the problem seems to stop.It would appear that this forces the BGL radius (?) to become bigger, and stops the problem.thanks for your helpJames.

Guest christian

Have you created mipmaps in imagetool?Christian