Sign in to follow this  
Wolfko

SNOW ON RUNWAYS?? IS IT POSSIBLE?

HI EVERYONE,I WANT TO MAKE MY RUNWAYS LOOK LIKE SNOW HAD SWEPT ACROSS THEM(NON-ANIMATED).MABE SOMETHING LIKE SOME SNOW HAS CREPT ONTO THE RUNWAYS FROM BOTH SIDES FOR MY WINTER FLYING...COULD SOMEONE STEER ME OR LEAD ME TO A TUTORIAL ON WORKING WITH RUMWAY TEXTURES?I TRIED IT ALREADY BUT NOTHING APPEARS ON THE RUNWAYS..IM NOT EVEN SURE I LOCATED MYSELF ON THE PROPER AIRPORT IN WHICH I ALTERED THE TEXTURE OR NOT!THERE ARE SO MANY TEXTURES IN FS2002 AND I NEED TO KNOW WHAT ONES I COULD ALTER OR LEAVE ALONE.THANKYOU FOR YOUR HELP!!J. HOLT LINEMAN55@COMCAST.NET

Guest Claviateur

Hi,Well it seems me and you are on the same thinking frequency :) I was thinking about the same concept for a wet runway. So here is my idea:Make a texture in a way that you get snow on both sides of the BMP vertically and make them fade smoothly into a uniform color in the middle. I suggest grey. Now make an alpha Channel that masks the snow stripes (white color) and fades into black. Save the texture in DXT1 with Imagetool and there you get a transparent texture in the middle with 2 stripes of snow on each side fading out into nothing.Now you must create with a scenery program a textured poly that has the same shape as your runway. the poly will get the texure you created. The layer of that poly should be 40 I guess to be on top of the Rwy. It should work this wayCheersMichel

HI MIKE,I AM NEW TO THIS..SO PLEASE BARE WITH ME..I HAVE BMP2000,FSSC AND PHOTOSHOPTO WORK WITH...I THINK I COULD FIGURE OUT HOW TO CREATE WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR BUT THEIR ARE QUITE A FEW .BMP FILES IN THE SCENERYB/TEXTURE FOLDER..AM I HEADING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION? IF SO WHAT MIGHT THE RUNWAY FILES BE LIKE..ETC..HOW TO IDENTIFY THEM.I DONT SEE ANY WITH "RNWY" IN THIS FOLDER.ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATEDJ. HOLT

I DID GET MY RESULTS IN FS2002...BUT THE CHANGE OCURRED ONLY ON ONE POLY OR SQUARE(LEFTSIDE/APRON ONLY.. IT DID NOT EXTEND DOWN THE ENTIRE RUNWAY ALTERING RUNWAY12.BMP ANY TIPS?? I DID NOT HAVE TO USE FSSC JUST BMP2000.THANKS FOR ANY TIPS!YOU MIGHT HAVE

The idea of Michel is to make a new texture, that contains some transparant parts so the normal runway shows through it. You then place this new texture with a polygon (with FSSC for example) on top of the runway.I think that is a good way to do it, as it does not require you to change default textures.ArnoPS. You got a caps-lock key on your keyboard? :)

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog