Sign in to follow this  

I need a fast answer on this one ;)

Hi,Is it possible to assign textures on one polygon "side by side" in FSDS2 just like it is possible in GMAX? Simple question as that...

Simple answer: Yes :D.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

I really want to know what is so good about FSDS2, as FS2002 and FS2004 are designed for gmax??

>I really want to know what is so good about FSDS2, as FS2002 >and FS2004 are designed for gmax?? Why do some people stick to Nova, others to EOD, some to FSDS and some to GMAX? That's just a personal choice, lots of factors can have part in that.

jurgen,I think it is a matter of what you are comfortable with. GMAX is really nice, but personally I am already very familiar with FSDS. Now that FSDS V2 uses floating point opcodes (like GMAX), performance differences are not an issue.If I was starting out, I would probably choose GMAX, because it is based on a very powerful, universally accepted modeling tool (3DS Max). However, I feel that the learning curve with GMAX is much greater due to the fact that it includes more functionality (which may or may not benefit flight sim object generation).Cheers,Allen

The above of course are not "designed" for gmax Microsoft simply useda similar tool (3DS max) to create the visuals in the program. One can use any tool to create 3D objects for F.S as long as those toolscan output the proper file format. Many people find gmax to have a steeper learning curve than is needed to create visual content for2002. I my self use 3DS Maxgmax but you see I have used 3DS Maxfor several years so I was able to pick up gmax with out too much trouble. Gmax has a huge tools set built in to it but most of those tools are not needed to create visual content for 2002 and can in fact "get in the way" when one is learning. So the answer is FSDS2is much faster for many people to learn and that's why many people like useing FSDS and now that FSDS2 can output the newer file typesthat 2002 "prefers" it's just a matter of personal taste as to what to use. Dan

It's indeed a question of what you are used to and which program you feel most comfortable with.I used FSDS before, but now I have learned GMax I don't want to go back. GMax has a lot of usefull modelling options (like compount objects, etc) that make the manipulation of your models much easier then FSDS. But I agree that the learning curve is a bit steep at first.>Now that FSDS V2 uses floating point >opcodes (like GMAX), performance differences are not an >issue. I still haven't tested this completely. But my FSDS 1.6 objects converted to the new format with FSDS2 are slower then they were before. While GMax objects ussually give an increase in frames. So I am not yet convinced that FSDS2 produces that fast code (but I haven't tested it enough yet to say it is always slower :)).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Arno, and everyone else:I've tried to search for this function, and I've read the tiny bit of help on textures in the official "manual", but that only seems to include really basic texturing help. So, how, more precisely, does one make "side-by-side" textures in FSDS2, textures that work just like with non-mapped, normal ground polygons for instance?

I'm not sure what you mean by "side by side".You can tile textures in the "texture properties" box. There are two boxes: "X tiles" and "Y Tiles". These work in a similar way as the FS2K building tool in airport, where you decide how many times you want the texture to tile on each side of a building.Hope this helps.- Martin

That was the same thing I meant. I thought that was the thing you were looking for Sebastian?Arno

Arno

Gosh, wonder why I didn't notice that myself!Yes, THANK YOU Martin and Arno, that was exactly what I meant./Sebastian