Sign in to follow this  
Guest hefy_jefy

Naming a material in Gmax 1.2

Guest hefy_jefy

I am stuck, I can't figure out how to name a material in the new Gmax. I simply want to make a material called:light_strobeSo I can have flashing red lights on a power station chimney. A simple requirement which I have done many times in the past with the old Gmax, I just can't seem to make it happen with the new materials thingy.At the moment the only way is to export the lights from old Gmax 1.1 projects and then import them.What seems to happen is that I get a material called something like:(1):LIGHT_STROBE (Standard) - this does not work.however the imported material (from 1.1) is called:LIFGT_STROBE (Standard) - and this does.I know I am missing something here, but I can't figure it out...GeoffHappy New Year by the way!

Guest JoeW

I just wish that the freeware program didn't have so many restrictions so that it would install on my machine. It would be nice if it would just overwrite and/ or delete the original. But I guess that I'm asking for ice cream on my cake.I'd just be happy to get it to install.....Joe W.

I haven't noted such problems with 1.2 (yet). I'll give it a try when I am at home, to see if I can get a nice light.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

What's the problem then? For me it was click on the exe, follow the instruction on the screen and after a like while everything ran fine. Not much special about the install thus.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest JoeW

I have installed it twice per instructions, the second time after a restore. I had a working ver 1.0 before, but it wasn't regestered after the restore nor was it listed in the add/remover area of the control panel. I tryed to reinstall 1.0 to remove it and got "error 1606. could not access network location "..documents and settingsall usersdesktop.Why does it have to access that?Joe

The error is probably because it is trying to remove the desktop icon that is placed there by default.It seems that version 1.0 is no longer in your registry (otherwise the uninstall would be there), so maybe you must just install 1.2 from scratch? Didn't that work either?I installed 1.2 over a working 1.1 and that worked without any problem.Arno

Arno

Guest JoeW

Arno.... This is what I have done so far. It's a copy of the thread on the discreet forum:Author Topic: GMax installation V 1.2 Joe W. Member Member # 397 Rate Member posted December 30, 2002 12:38 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------I had untill today ver 1.0 of GMax. Ver 1.1 would not install because It could not access the C:documents........ folder. Today I have uninstalled v 1.0 by using the Install / remove in control panel. Still wouldn't install v1.2, This time I got " ver 1.0 detected installed, please uninstall by way of set-up, control panel. ( I allready did that). so I went in regedit and removed all references to Discreet, GMax, Autodesk. I still get the same message that there is ver 1.0 installed on my machine. I have NO GMax or any related programs except the install for ver 1.2. What do I remove next?Machine is a AMD Anthlon 1 g on a Asus A7V 133 m/b, 512 mg, 133 mz ram, NO GMAX.........Joe W.raptor@htn.net --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Posts: 9 | From: Lake Placid, Fl | Registered: Nov 2001 | IP: Logged angus454 Moderator Member # 2668 Member Rated: posted December 30, 2002 01:42 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Do you still have the environmental variable listed? If so, try removing it.--------------------Visit http://dsmith.gmaxsupport.com--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Posts: 708 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2002 | IP: Logged Joe W. Member Member # 397 Rate Member posted December 30, 2002 01:48 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by angus454:Do you still have the environmental variable listed? If so, try removing it.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------And where is that located?As far as I know I have removed ALL reference in the regestry.The os is windows XP home.... forgot that.ThanksJoe W. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Posts: 9 | From: Lake Placid, Fl | Registered: Nov 2001 | IP: Logged angus454 Moderator Member # 2668 Member Rated: posted December 30, 2002 03:07 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------my computer>properties>advanced>environmental variables --------------------Visit http://dsmith.gmaxsupport.com--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Posts: 708 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2002 | IP: Logged Joe W. Member Member # 397 Rate Member posted December 30, 2002 04:45 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by angus454:my computer>properties>advanced>environmental variables --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Nope.... It ain't there.The only thing gmax in my computer is the folder in flight simulator. It doesn't have a working file..... all it has is the install for both 1.0 and 1.1 and the gmax folder in C:receive with the gmax.exe for install of 1.2 ....I'm still getting the " unable to install because a version 1.0 was discovered on your computer. Please remove from the control panel, Add remove area."I have no idea where it finding the data for that.Joe W --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Posts: 9 | From: Lake Placid, Fl | Registered: Nov 2001 | IP: Logged jester Member Member # 7657 Member Rated: posted December 30, 2002 09:54 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------try logging in as administrator not just as user/superuserit sounds like someone has locked your unique folders and right now i can't remember where to undo that is in the Home ED of Xp so the only way around that is thru the admin account--------------------"... what are we supposed to use - harsh language?"The ONLY music to FRAG by is: Drowning Pool - Bodieshuh huh you said monkeyspit huh huh --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Posts: 212 | From: a2 mi usa | Registered: Oct 2002 | IP: Logged Joe W. Member Member # 397 Rate Member posted December 31, 2002 03:27 AM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by jester:try logging in as administrator not just as user/superuserit sounds like someone has locked your unique folders and right now i can't remember where to undo that is in the Home ED of Xp so the only way around that is thru the admin account--------------------------------------------------------------------------------I am the only one that uses this computer. I am the administrator. I am the only one that logs in. so.... when I boot this computer, it logs in as me , the administrator. What about cookies? would that do it? Ver 1.0 was regestered.I think that Discreet has built too much security into this program as most people installing it have problems. This is freeware, so why? --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Posts: 9 | From: Lake Placid, Fl | Registered: Nov 2001 | IP: Logged angus454 Moderator Member # 2668 Member Rated: posted December 31, 2002 04:20 AM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you go to the control panel>add and remove programs, does gmax show up in the list? If so, try running the uninstall from there. If it works, terrific. If not, here's an idea: Use the XP system restore to roll back to a date before you did any uninstallation of gmax, then go in and do the add/remove programs for gmax. It sounds like the installer is "smelling" a residual piece from the earlier installation and we gotta find it.--------------------Visit http://dsmith.gmaxsupport.com--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Posts: 708 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2002 | IP: Logged Joe W. Member Member # 397 Rate Member posted December 31, 2002 06:44 AM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by angus454:If you go to the control panel>add and remove programs, does gmax show up in the list? If so, try running the uninstall from there. If it works, terrific. If not, here's an idea: Use the XP system restore to roll back to a date before you did any uninstallation of gmax, then go in and do the add/remove programs for gmax. It sounds like the installer is "smelling" a residual piece from the earlier installation and we gotta find it.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Yes .... the first thing I did was to make a point... second was to uninstall from the add/remove area. That's not gonna do anything except screw things up.. I have deleted the folder, and other files plus I have gone into the registery and removed all reference to Discreet, autodesk, and gmax. The only thing left is the cookies. I read in another post of someone that also was having a problem that the registration was accomplished with a cookie. MY 1.0 was registered, so I have a cookie that refers to gmax on my machine.I will do a restore, but I don't think thats the problem.NO GMAXJoe W. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Posts: 9 | From: Lake Placid, Fl | Registered: Nov 2001 | IP: Logged Joe W. Member Member # 397 Rate Member posted December 31, 2002 08:11 AM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by Joe W.:

Originally posted by angus454:[qb]If you go to the control panel>add and remove programs, does gmax show up in the list? If so, try running the uninstall from there. If it works, terrific. If not, here's an idea: Use the XP system restore to roll back to a date before you did any uninstallation of gmax, then go in and do the add/remove programs for gmax. It sounds like the installer is "smelling" a residual piece from the earlier installation and we gotta find it.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ok...... Did a restore to before the uninstall.... It's not in the Add/remove area of controll panel, but the program is there because it will run.What now?Joe W. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Posts: 9 | From: Lake Placid, Fl | Registered: Nov 2001 | IP: Logged Stormrider Member Member # 8952 Rate Member posted December 31, 2002 09:22 AM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------I aint no expert..but if gmax does not show up in the add/remove..try looking through your register for keys about gmax...and you can of course manually delete gmax... Dont know if any of it will help... just some things I would have tried..Yours sincerely,Stormrider --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Posts: 2 | From: Malm

Back to the origional question, I tried it yesterday and I have no problems with the naming. My lights work fine.Arno

Arno

Guest hefy_jefy

OK Arno thanks,I must doing somethimg different, at least I know its possible. I'll go back and give it another try.Going back to the other (Gmax installation) problem my guess is that its the famous (infamous?) windows installer .MSI file. This may or may not help but I have found that if a customer upgrades an operating system and then tries to upgradeuninstall some programs the following can occur:The installer engine "looses track" of the original .MSI file, assumes that the previous installation was done over a network and hence the message about a missing network connection. This can also happen if the original .MSI file gets deleted in a misguided attempt to save some disc space (they can be large files). Usually, as several people have observed you can fix the problem by searching the registry for the string that is seen in the Add/Remove programs dialog, but that doesn't seem to have worked here.The other problem can be anti virus software, particularly (in my experience anyway) McAcfee - the solution here is to disable the real-time virus checking when installing programs.Nothing for sure, the only other thing I can add is my sympathy...Geoff