Sign in to follow this  

New Years Gift for AVSIM Community

Guest moomox

I decided it's about time I get my lazy butt to work today and get this thing finished.Here it is!Shearwater (CYAW), Nova Scotia, CanadaEnjoy!http://ftp.avsim.com/library/search.php?Se...2scen&Go=SearchBTW - If you want to join, I am hosting multiplayer ATC out of CYAW for the next little while...Join shearwater.homeftp.netAlso using roger wilco!shearwater.homeftp.net:3782/ShearwaterSee you soon!David

David,Is Shearwater where the Canadian Armed Forces is located. I visited CAF in the late 70's. They were using the Sikorsky/Westland S-61 helicopters.

Guest moomox

The old Seakings are still flying. I believe they are waiting for replacements to come in the next year or two...David

looks fabulous...love the whole snow thing with the snowy edged runway. Is the runway made with scasm runway commands, or is it a construct using a 3d object texture polygon?Bob Bernstein

Guest grimmy

Outstanding piece of work moomox. Just did a couple of enjoyable circuits. What did you use for those lovely big fat red light beacons?

Guest moomox

Made the runway and ground textures using scasm... The rest is GMAX

Guest moomox

The lights were made using nav lights in GMAX I believe. But the reason they look so big..there are two beacons side by side at the top of the towers. I've really tried to replicate how it feels flying out of Shearwater. I think it turned out quite well!David

Very nice and innovative! (hurrying to test it) :)But how is Architect really creating those custom textures? Is it with the same runway code ("new code" as e.g. Airport states it), that has the usual code line to call up the textures??? (runway=2 for instance, not completely sure how it was)Does anyone else know how give a runway a custom texture and really do this as a runway? GroundMaker does have a custom feature, but I've heard it doesn't paint it as a runway, but as a mapped polygon with the markings placed on it./Sebastian

GroundMaker indeed uses a custom feature. It draws some TexPoly's for the runway and then draws the markings on it with colored polygons.I don't know how Architect does it, but I think it is something similar, as far as I know it is not easy/possible to put a custom texture on a normal runway (apart from replacing the default textures of course).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest moomox

Don't know if this will help, but here is the code from fsarchitect for RWY 16/34; -----------------------------------------------------------------------------; Runway: Runway 16/34 Area( b 44:38:24.654589 -63:29:40.356311 20 ) LayerCall( :layer 24 ) Jump( :customrwy ):layer Runway( 44:38:24.654589 -63:29:40.356311 Altitude 50.901600 Heading 137.70 Length 8998 Width 200 ID 16 Surface -1 Markers 40 Lights 00 Threshold 30 ThrLightsN 00 ThrLightsF 00 StrobesN 0 StrobesF 0 VasiBarsN 00 VasiBarsF 00 AprlN 0 AprlF 0 ThrOffN 851 ThrOffF 0 ExtN 0 ExtF 0 ):customrwy RefPoint( rel :TagPoly 0.304800 44:38:24.654589 -63:29:40.356311 v1= 37040 ) RotatedCall( :rot 0 0 137.70 ) Jump( : ):rot LoadBitmap( 0 5W 0 0 0 0 RWY_16.bmp ) Points( 0 -100 0 -4499 100 0 -4499 -100 0 -2249 100 0 -2249 -100 0 0 100 0 0 -100 0 2249 100 0 2249 -100 0 4499 100 0 4499 ) TexPoly( au 0 0 0 1 63 0 3 63 255 2 0 255 ) TexPoly( au 2 64 0 3 127 0 5 127 255 4 64 255 ) TexPoly( au 4 128 0 5 191 0 7 191 255 6 128 255 ) TexPoly( au 6 192 0 7 255 0 9 255 255 8 192 255 ):TagPoly Return EndA; *** Runway altitude adjusted to area altitude *** Also the Radar tower in the scenery uses a DXT3 Alpha Bitmap I believe.

It does :D.The same method as GroundMaker is used to draw the texture for the runway. But for the markings a runway with surface type -1 is used (that means markings only if I remember correct).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Thanks for that!I'm still learning a lot how to read these kinds of codes, so a couple of questions:RefPoint( rel :TagPoly 0.304800 44:38:24.654589 -63:29:40.356311 v1= 37040 )RotatedCall( :rot 0 0 137.70 )What does 0.304800 in that code stand for? And what is RotateCall? (should read the sdk's :))Then finally I wonder which part of the code is triggering the seasonal changes?

0.3048 is the scale, 0.3048 meters is 1 feet, so the person making this source is used to using feet :).And the RotatedCall is used to rotate the coordinate axis over 137.7 degrees in this example. That way you can use a more convenient set of axes to define the object.Arno

Arno

moomox, thanks for sharing the code. Now I understand. Interesting concept, I think I'll play around with it. Best,Bob BernsteinEdmonds, Wa.