Sign in to follow this  
spotlope

A Quick FSRegen question...

Hello,I've been messing around with exporting .bgl's out of gmax and bringing them into FSRegen to add effects, but when I select my .asm file (Chimney.asm) in step 1 and click 'Open', I get the following error:Please enter valid input file. C:gmaxModelsSmokeStackChimney_0.asm file not foundWhat is the '_0' it's adding to the end of my .asm file? Am I missing a step?Thanks,Jim

While you export from GMax you should use "keep files", then a myproject.asm and a myproject_0.asm will be saved.If you use MiddleMan or not the latest version of MakeMDL (can't remeber which of the two it was :)) I think you get other names for the files. So I think the best thing you can do is switch to the latest version of MakeMDL (in the MakeMDL SDK).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hey Arno, thanks for the quick reply.I'll try and download the latest MakeMDL and see if that fixes it. I just used the one that came with FS2002 Professional. I checked the 'keep files' button and it does indeed output a .asm file, but no _0.asm file for some reason, so that must be the breakdown.Thanks for the info!Jim

Ok, great. That worked perfectly. Now I have upgraded to another issue. Whenever I try and process the color's that I've assigned a material to, I get the following error:Run-time error '6': OverflowHmmmm, I've installed the latest Runtime library files (Visual Basic 6.0 SP5), but am unsure why I get the Run-time error. Anyone have any ideas?Thanks,Jim

An update on the Run-time error. It only seems to happen when I try and define the type of object and parameters as effects. I was able to process lights and a windsock, just can't get the effects to process.

I never tried FsRegen to place effect, so I am afraid I can not really help. Also it might be that the implementation of this function has not be finshed yet, as FsRegen was still under development. Maybe someone else how has tried it has something more usefull to say about it :).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thanks for letting me know Arno, I feel a bit better now =) Quite a bummer though...Jim

Howdy Cap'n,I used to get the same error, and I think I've finally found a way around it. When you're going to add effects to a file, choose the "effects" item from the drop-down list and the type of effect you want to add *before* you open the asm file. If you do it in this order, FSRegen seems not to balk. If you need to add other things like windsocks or lights, do them after you're done adding the effects, as it doesn't seem to mind switching from effects to some other item. Lemme know if that works for you.thx,

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Hello Bill,I tried your suggestion, but unfortunately to no avail. It still comes up with the runtime error and closes the program. Thanks for the thought though.By the way, what OS are you using? I'm running Win2000 Pro and wondering if it might be some sort of an OS issue.Thanks,Jim

Jim,I'm running XP Pro now, but I'm fairly sure I got FSRegen working in Win2000 Pro before I switched operating systems. What version of FSRegen are you using? I believe I've got the latest beta build.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

I'm currently using version 0.31b, Middleman version 1.2 and the latest MakeMDL file from the FS2002 SDK page. Not sure if I need to back-up with some versions maybe and not have the latest and greatest?Jim

One thing that's different about our setups Jim is that I don't run Middleman at all. The latest MakeMDL can export the original asm files, so I haven't found a need for middleman. You might try not using that. But I'm just shooting in the dark here...

Bill Womack

Hey Bill, thanks for the idea.Unfortunately it's still happening, just like before. It's interesting to note that when I open the file originally (either before or after defining the effects process) that I get an error 'Error :6:Overflow', but it all loads Ok and still works just fine, save the effects issue.One thing that did happen, although it didn't seem to matter, was that gmax gave me an export to .mdl failure box that said makeMDL.exe could not be found and that the export had failed. Although there isn't an .mdl file, it did generate the .asm files just fine.Thanks again for all the ideas Bill and if you have any more, please feel free to share them.Regards,Jim

I'm gonna have to noodle on that one, Jim. But it drives me nuts that I fixed the problem for myself but can't fix it for you!! If I could just conjure up exactly what I did from the back of my feeble brain I could be of assistance. Maybe we'll get lucky and I'll have a "junior moment" tomorrow and remember!

Bill Womack

Thanks Bill, I appreciate your appetite for a good challenge! =)One thought occurred to me whilst I was chewing on this, what type of processor are you running, Intel or AMD? I wonder if this could be a processor issue. I'm running an AthlonXP 1900, and I wonder if the Run-time error could be based on how the AMD processor does its math...Just a thought,Jim