Sign in to follow this  

NewTerrain Mesh Problem

This has probably been answered before but I can't seem to find it.I just created new terrain mesh for most of the Rockies between Alberta and BC using Canada NTDB map sheets. It looks wonderful except for some problems around Banff Townsite where the default mesh causes a problem. I have tried to Exclude that area to turn off the default but it doesn't work.. I have tried to move my mesh above or below the default.. if I turn off Western Canada default my mesh shows properly... any ideas?Cheers Rod

Hi Rod:Just yesterday, I had a similar problem in an area of southern BC's Lower Mainland; my LOD8 mesh had an area in its middle where the default mesh showed through. The way I solved it was to re-sample only that particular area at LOD9 resolution and --- ta-dah! no more "hole". I don't have a clue why that hole was there in the first place. I'm just finishing up a new mesh of all of BC, based on 250m DEMs (and 50m or 100m in some subsections). A few preview shots are posted at: http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID47My BC-Alberta boundary in the Rockies looks a bit strange in places, as I filled in the missing (i.e., Alberta) areas with low-res GTOPO30 data. What are your source data and at what resolution do you resample at? Perhaps we can team up for those areas, or, if your data are of similar resolution, I just forget about uploading southeastern BC. Cheers, Holger

If the default mesh does shows instead of your mesh that will probably mean that that part of the mesh has a higher LOD then your mesh. FS always displays the mesh with the highest LOD.Other things that might influence the mesh are the flatten polygons around airfields etc. These fix the mesh to the altitude of the airport. But this should really give problems as the altitudes of the airports are usually correctly defined.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest sgreenwood

Hi Arno,>FS always displays the mesh with the highest LOD.Probably true for the data discussed in this thread, but not always - sometimes it will not display at all.I've done a little testing recently and now believe that FS displays mesh using more complex rules than we supposed. LOD has other implications as well. You may want to check my recent post in the Mesh forum:http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...ewmode=threadedA few tests by one individual do not constitute an exhaustive or definitive study, but I hope it encourages others to at least consider these issues while examining their own mesh. Confirmation, clarification, ... of these results are welcome.Regards,Steve

Guest sgreenwood

Nice work Holger, the screen shots look great. Looking forward to the final product.Steve

Thanks for the link, interesting post :).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

First off, Kudos to you guys for this great mesh scenery! I just downloaded both Holger's BC scenery and Rod's. My question is for Rod, though: Where exactly are the Canadian Rocky Mountain National Parks? When I downloaded your files, all I could find were the bgl files. Do you have a read me file with the coordinates of your mesh or some nearby airports that I can find amongst your terrain? I can't wait to start flying around there. Thanks again for all your work!Doug

Hi Doug:thanks for the praise. It was quite the coincidence that the two mesh series were uploaded to AVSIM on the same day. When I first saw Rod's files I thought the library manager had mistakenly renamed my files ;-)Our respective projects are unrelated and we use different base data - his are contour lines, mine spot heights. Also, there's (almost) no overlap in the area covered.I must say that the complete absence of any documentation with Rod's files was a bit of a shocker. But then again, my files came with so much junk (err support maps, manual, etc.) that in the end, everything balances out - the Yin and Yang thing, I suppose ;-)Regarding your question about the extent of Rod's mesh: You see, Rod and I are geographers and firmly believe that everyone above the age of 5 should have the Canadian National Topographic System (NTS) grid naming convention memorized. ;-) That's what Rod used to name his files (except for the Waterton Park ones, way down in the southwest corner of Alberta).To translate: his files cover a 1-degree by 1-degree block between Castle Junction (Transcanada Hwy) and Kananaskis Lakes, or N50

Thanks so much for the info, Holger. I'm currently simming in the Bahamas, so maybe by the time I make it back up north, more will be done. I'll get to work on that NTS memorization right away! :D Doug