Sign in to follow this  

Railways in FS2002

I've realized the railways lines for my Country (Italy), with the parameter VTPTextureId 2, but aren't too visible.So i would like to modify the width of the lines, and the texture used.How may I enlarge the lines? Witch texture is used by FS2002 to design the railways?Thanks for your answers.Ciao

Guest gorchi

Hi Francesco!We both (and some others too) have same problem. FS2002 does not have such texture for railways and it is really weird, how did the miss it... But there is a solution I think in making own texture. So we'll have to take let say hiwayssu.bmp to BMP2000, get alpha and non alpha texture out, then correct it with some good bitmap (maybe copy-paste numerous times the bitmap 0257xxx.bmp or v_railroad.bm?) and that save to texture folder next to bgl with roads. But I am little worried about how it will show in FS. Lines of width of 6m (normal 2 lane road here) are just too distorted and railway width should be even narrower to be more or less natural.I think MS was in rush with time so they didn't prepare railways, they put also too basic textures for roads and they have jagged edges on the ground...Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Hi Goran,MS did not forget to make railroad textures because it makes no sense.The main problem here are not the textures used for the railways but the resolution of the ground textures in FS2002. The resolution is ~4-5m per pixel.If you keep in mind that this is the width of a single railtrack, than you will see nothing more than a line on the ground width a width of 1 pixel in FS2002 (like the screenshot of Francesco).If you want to recognize the image of your hand-made railroad-texture on the ground then you will have to make your railway 20 or 30 meters wide, which looks not very realistic.Regards, Heinrich

Are the VTP lines also restricted to that resolution? I have the idea that for example the shorelines have a better resolution.Maybe the way MS did it in their Oshkosh is the best solution then. They just used a brownish like texture (dirt) that gives some sort of illusion of railways.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest gorchi

Hi!Unfortunatelly VTP lines do have resolution problems. I tried to change resolution and it's like I didn't change anything at all. Arno, maybe You have better solution? I also agree that railways of nearly realistic width would be 1 pixel wide and with a lot of jaggies. But had anyone tried not to use 256x256pix large bitmap but something bigger? Arno, Netherlands has also some railways, how do You solve this problem?Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Hi Goran,For the resolution thing, on the polygons we tried a higher resolution, but FS never takes a mipmap that is bigger then 256x256. So there is no fix for that (hopefully Fs2004 will allow higher resolutions).And for our Dutch scenery, we are still building in the VTP lines code into our design tool, so we have not tested it on big scale yet. I am afraid we will then encounter the same problem :(. At the moment roads (and railroads) are still in the old SCASM code. We were planning to use a custom texture on those lines. But we haven't thought about the resolution yet.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest gorchi

Hi Arno!I have also tried to make some custom textures which look great in Photoshop but in FS... I almost cried to death :'(. Too many jaggies, thin lines on the sides were or were not... results came allmost unpredictable.You are saying, You are making a special program for NL2003 that could draw lines, roads... for large areas? I wonder if it will be available to public :).Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

It's the same program that we used for NL2000 v1 and v2. It has a database that contains all the polygons, lines and macros. At the moment we are changing the program so it creates BGLC (VTP/LWM) code instead of SCASM code.The bad news, for you, is that it only works in the Netherlands, because it has been made especially for that area.Arno

Arno

>Hi Goran, >>MS did not forget to make railroad textures because it makes >no sense. >The main problem here are not the textures used for the >railways but the resolution of the ground textures in >FS2002. The resolution is ~4-5m per pixel. >If you keep in mind that this is the width of a single >railtrack, than you will see nothing more than a line on the >ground width a width of 1 pixel in FS2002 (like the >screenshot of Francesco). >>If you want to recognize the image of your hand-made >railroad-texture on the ground then you will have to make >your railway 20 or 30 meters wide, which looks not very >realistic. >>Regards, Heinrich Doesn't that apply to roads then too? Most roads in FS are also too wide becuse of the limitation in accuracy (and M$ still modeled them anyway :))

Hi All.From the MS Oshgosh scenery addon:"3. Known IssuesThe EAA AirVenture Oshkosh Scenery Add-On is not supported by Microsoft Product Support Services.However, listed below are several known issues of which you should be aware.3.1 Railroad TracksThe arrival procedures specified in the NOTAM instruct pilots to follow railroad tracks from the town of Ripon to Oshkosh. Flight Simulator 2002 does not support displaying detailed railroad track textures so we have used a dirt road texture instead. You should be able to distinguish the dark brown lines easily from the air and follow them to Wittman Regional Airport."I believe that MS did exclude the tracks from the default because of the resolution default of (approx ) 4.8 meters/pixel.Dick

This is totally shot in the dark, but how far is graphic engine of MS Train Simulator from FS? Any possibility to ###### something from our Train Sim buddies? Perhaps at least some objects... Ted

Hi Dick,So, if MS used dirt roads to design railroad tracks, the new question is:witch number in VTPTextureId have i to put to design dirt roads instead of railways?The various instructions say AIRPORT SCASM VTPTextureId( 0 minor road 3 )( 1 minor road 3 ) 2 major road 0 3 minor road 1 4 railway 2 5 river 3 - coastline 4but i suppose that "minor road" are always paved roads (as in the picture of my first post). Suggestions?Ciao

If I remember correct, the dirt texture is somewhere in the terraintexture.cfg file. Just have a look there and find the correct number for it. Then you can use that in your VTP source.Arno

Arno

I've found that in terraintexture.cfg:[Texture.1161] // dirt / 1 lane / undivided medianType=3Size=4Textures=dirtroadhw.bmp,dirtroadhw.bmp,dirtroadsu.bmp,dirtroadsu.bmp,dirtroadsu.bmp,dirtroadsu_lm.bmpIs it correct to write VTPTextureId 1161 ???Thanks

Guest falko

The number in the VTPTextureId is pointing to the line (+1) in the texture-list whitch is at the end of your *.asm-file. If you give "VTPTextureId 2" then you selected the 3. texture in the list. In the example below this would be the texture number 1160. If you want to use texture number 1161 then you should change the line VTPTextureName "1160"to VTPTextureName "1161";Example ; --------------------------------------------------------------------TextureStart label word VTPTextureListHeader 5, TextureIndexStart, TextureDataStart, TextureDataEndTextureIndexStart label word VTPTextureListEntry TextureDataStart, texturemark_0, texturemark_1 VTPTextureListEntry TextureDataStart, texturemark_1, texturemark_2 VTPTextureListEntry TextureDataStart, texturemark_2, texturemark_3 VTPTextureListEntry TextureDataStart, texturemark_3, texturemark_4 VTPTextureListEntry TextureDataStart, texturemark_4, texturemark_5TextureDataStart label word texturemark_0 label word VTPTextureName "1162" VTPTextureType 2, 0, 0, 4 texturemark_1 label word VTPTextureName "1158" VTPTextureType 2, 0, 0, 4 texturemark_2 label word VTPTextureName "1160" VTPTextureType 2, 0, 0, 4 texturemark_3 label word VTPTextureName "1025" VTPTextureType 2, 0, 0, 4 texturemark_4 label word VTPTextureName "1059" VTPTextureType 2, 0, 0, 4 texturemark_5 label wordTextureDataEnd label word; --------------------------------------------------------------------