Sign in to follow this  

Railways in FS2002

Hi Francesco.MS used the number "1145" for the texture, and it appears to be Layer31. That will show it under layer 32 ( major roads ), and the same layer31 as minor roads. I believe it will show on top of minor roads, as the rails are later in the data stream.Dick

Guest gorchi

Hi Francesco!Your answer is partially correct. At the end of Your lines You should have something like this:

TextureIndexStart		label		word  VTPTextureListEntry TextureDataStart, texturemark_0, texturemark_1  VTPTextureListEntry TextureDataStart, texturemark_1, texturemark_2  VTPTextureListEntry TextureDataStart, texturemark_2, texturemark_3  VTPTextureListEntry TextureDataStart, texturemark_3, texturemark_4  VTPTextureListEntry TextureDataStart, texturemark_4, texturemark_5;TextureDataStart  label		wordtexturemark_0	   label		word	VTPTextureName "1058"	VTPTextureType 2, 0, 0, 4texturemark_1	   label		word	VTPTextureName "1061"	VTPTextureType 2, 0, 0, 4texturemark_2	   label		word	VTPTextureName "1025"	VTPTextureType 2, 0, 0, 4texturemark_3	   label		word	VTPTextureName "1064"	VTPTextureType 2, 0, 0, 4texturemark_4	   label		word	VTPTextureName "1030"	VTPTextureType 2, 0, 0, 4texturemark_5	   label		wordTextureDataEnd	label		word

So You need to change one of texture name to 1060 (or if You wish "railwi.bmp;railway.bmp;railway.bmp;railway.bmp;raillm.bmp") and then You use reference to this texture wherewer You wish in Your ASM file. So in above example, texture name 1061 is having reference number 1, so You use VTPTextureId 1,0 where You want to use it:

....datamark_v0		label		word  VTPDataArea 1, 1, 0, 0  VTPLayer 32, 0			   <--- layer for railroad, 32?  VTPNumTexturesInLayer 1, 0  VTPTextureId 1, 0			<---- reference number  VTPPolyCount 1, 0   VTPPolyMethod2 09, 1, 0 VTPWidePoint  4089, 1,  4100, 0VTPWidePointWidth 1VTPWidePoint  4089, 1,  4100, 0VTPWidePointWidth VTPWidePoint  4089, 0,  4100, 0 ...

I also strongly suggest You to combine lines with same texture id, same layer and same LOD13 quadrant because if You have many similar line starts, You can get into troubles.So not recommened code:

....;===> first line  VTPDataArea 1, 1, 0, 0  VTPLayer 32, 0			     VTPNumTexturesInLayer 1, 0  VTPTextureId 1, 0			  VTPPolyCount 1, 0   VTPPolyMethod2 05, 1, 0 VTPWidePoint  4089, 1,  4100, 0VTPWidePointWidth 1VTPWidePoint  4089, 1,  4100, 0VTPWidePointWidth VTPWidePoint  4089, 0,  4100, 0 ... ;===> second line  VTPDataArea 1, 1, 0, 0  VTPLayer 32, 0			     VTPNumTexturesInLayer 1, 0  VTPTextureId 1, 0			  VTPPolyCount 1, 0  VTPPolyMethod2 25, 1, 0 VTPWidePoint  6782, 1,  8700, 0VTPWidePointWidth 1VTPWidePoint  6782, 1,  8700, 0VTPWidePointWidth VTPWidePoint  6782, 0,  8700, 0 ...;===> third line  VTPDataArea 1, 1, 0, 0  VTPLayer 32, 0			     VTPNumTexturesInLayer 1, 0  VTPTextureId 1, 0			  VTPPolyCount 1, 0   VTPPolyMethod2 12, 1, 0 VTPWidePoint  6049, 1,  12100, 0VTPWidePointWidth 1VTPWidePoint  6049, 1,  12100, 0VTPWidePointWidth VTPWidePoint  6049, 0,  12100, 0 ...

This could be merged together as (recommended code ):

....;===> first line  VTPDataArea 1, 1, 0, 0  VTPLayer 32, 0			     VTPNumTexturesInLayer 1, 0  VTPTextureId 1, 0			  VTPPolyCount 3, 0			  <--- note number of lines having same texture!   VTPPolyMethod2 05, 1, 0 VTPWidePoint  4089, 1,  4100, 0VTPWidePointWidth 1VTPWidePoint  4089, 1,  4100, 0VTPWidePointWidth VTPWidePoint  4089, 0,  4100, 0 ... ;===> second line  VTPPolyMethod2 25, 1, 0 VTPWidePoint  6782, 1,  8700, 0VTPWidePointWidth 1VTPWidePoint  6782, 1,  8700, 0VTPWidePointWidth VTPWidePoint  6782, 0,  8700, 0 ... ;===> third line  VTPPolyMethod2 12, 1, 0 VTPWidePoint  6049, 1,  12100, 0VTPWidePointWidth 1VTPWidePoint  6049, 1,  12100, 0VTPWidePointWidth VTPWidePoint  6049, 0,  12100, 0 ...

Wish You luck and a lot of patience!Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Guest gorchi

Hi Falko!I am sorry but You are mistaken about referencing textures. If You use TextureID 0,0 then according to Your post it will point and use texture with name 1162. Texture with ID 3 will point to texture name 1025 and so on..Regarding Your SCM2VTP I would have some comments.* Can You make some optimization of code? If I have a straight line (really straight line like railway) and it crosses let say 4 LOD13 quadrants, SCM2VTP gives me a lot of points whereas maximum of 6 would be enough. Why 6? You need 3 to start the line, 1 to end and 2 more points one point away from the beggining and end to make line not tappered. And I would do optimization like this: take three points which are next to each other. Calculate dx and dy between two points and if they are same, remove the middle point.I make roads based on SCA file from FSSC. Yesterday it produced me ASM file of approx 170kb long and at the end it was missing some parts (it started missing parts near texture naming and down to the end).* I see that sometimes it has troubles, mainly with points to close together. But I got also some lines which I never drew, for example in asm file approx 120kB long, there was a river crossing 5 LOD13 quadrants and totally straight...* Next thing and I can allmost say I beg for this is if You can include commnet line just before Area() instruction in SCA file. Let me explain this a little bit. I have area of 60x60km and have let say 30 lines there. Allmost with no exceptions textures are wrong so I must go into FS and back again numerous times to find which line is for which road to put there appropriate texture and to pinpoint the ends of lines making them not tappered with additional points. So it would be really much easier If I can have comment line (in FSSC is this also the name of macro/road/river..) before VTPDataPoint instruction.* The last thing is a wish. Can You add those two additional antitapper points to the beggining and to the end?I hope I do not bother You too much with these suggestions Falko.Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Francesco has made this railway lines for Italy available for download at his website. I've installed it and it looks quite good, a real small file too. He has many other great files available for free download. To get the translated version of his page search for aliditalia on google and select the translate page option.

Thank you William for the support of my web site.I've not yet updated the railways with the suggestions received in this topic... perhaps next week-end i'll work on it!Ciao

Guest cwright

Hi, Goran, The new version of AutoAsm I am working on has enhanced VTP support. You can draw multiple lines of different brightness, and set up the brightness level to create specific VTP lines such as roads or streams, while at the same time drawing polygons to generate water for lakes and coastline trimming. Water polygons also have assignable VTP lines to create shorelines with surf. The program covers a large area, though currently limited to 20 LOD8 squares - that limit could easily be increased. I hope to release it around the end of January. Best regards, Chris

Guest gorchi

Hi Chris!Thank You for notifying me but actually I must admit that I have never succeded to run Your program. It has great tendency to crash and maybe the most important thing is I do not like to install such programs on disk C. I have all FlightSim supporting programs installed on disk E. But I will try it again when You will release the update.Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Guest cwright

Hi Goran! Sorry to hear you had problems. Some of the earlier versions would fail with complex images, but the later ones are much better (the last was just before Christmas). Now AutoAsm can handle very complex images (includimg polygons within polygons within polygons!) without problems. You should be able to run it on any drive. The only requirement is that you keep the C:program filesautoasm directory intact, because that's where the program saves all the ini files. If that directory doesn't exist the program will fail - maybe that's why you had problems. You could wait until the new version is out in a couple of weeks. If you still had any problems I'd be very grateful if you'd let me know, as I'm sure we can work out any problems that might arise. Best regards, Chris