Sign in to follow this  
Guest JR Morgan

Get rid of object's autogen removal?

Hi,I have a broad object, which seems to remove autogen in a rectangular area. Is there a way to edit this object so that autogen isn't stopped by it? Object is made in FSDS 1.6.

Hi efva2002.The radius of the object's placement ( v2 in SCASM ) seems to control how much autogen is removed. You can try to reduce v2, but if you are too aggressive, the object will not display properly ( flashing is a common side effect ).I have not tried it, but the use of SCASM's TransformCall allows you to offset the refpoint away from it's display location, and that may be a way to display the object without destroying the autogen. I noticed you can use an offset of x, y, or z.. which brings to mind an interesting possibility... could the offset be above or below ground level, and bypass autogen exclusion that way? Search the forum for 'transformcall' and there are a few examples. Maybe Arno has some info on this, and "Claviateur" had some use for this with his airport scenery.Dick

Thanks for that,I guess another solution would be to split the macro in several parts?

Hi efva2002.I think if you split the object into ( more or less ) square chunks, then the radius ( v2 ) can be tightened-up on each chunk, to reduce the effect on the autogen.Dick

In theory that should be correct, but have we agreed on the v2 being the influencing parameter? I must have missed that then :).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi Arno.I made a test with BGLPlacer:LIBRARY,SCO_genbldg_skyltgraytall,N39* 52.87',W79* 44.50',AGL,0.00,0.00,0.00,Very Sparse,"RADIUS=100"That's a tall gray building, at ground level. I didn't scale it, so it's a bit undersized. :) The location is Brandonville, Richard Hill's stomping grounds. The autogen is snug around the building.Then I changed the radius:LIBRARY,SCO_genbldg_skyltgraytall,N39* 52.87',W79* 44.50',AGL,0.00,0.00,0.00,Very Sparse,"RADIUS=1000"This should make the autogen disappear around the base of the building.. and it does.pic1 = 100mpic2 = 1000mDick

Hi all.A note about experimenting with autogen.VTPs and CUSTOM and objects will exclude a certain amount of autogen, as we know. When designing, we often activate, and deactivate scenery with the Scenery Library. But many times the excluded autogen will not return to normal when we deactivate object BGLs!The cure, is to Select a Flight, somewhere removed from the autogen's area, then return to the autogen's area... it should then be restored properly.If you don't do this, you may get a false indication that autogen is missing, when in fact it just needs to be "reset".Dick

Interesting! And it makes sense to link it to the v2 value, as that should indicate the radius of the object (maybe MS has made things I such a way that we can understand it :D).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

I now gave my macro a "dummy RotatedCall-switch", something that had been discussed earlier in this forum. It actually worked!

Yep, that's a good tip. I went 'round and 'round with my first scenery project, with the autogen popping in and out and in and out and... well, it was really starting to get on my nerves. Then I discovered what Dick mentioned. Definitely not something that most simmers would see, but for scenery designers it's a real pain in the butt.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Hi efva2002.I suspected a TransformCall could be used to salvage the autogen. It appears to work. In this example, I set the offset point to an altitude of 32767 meters:Header( 1 N39:52:52.19 N39:52:52.19 W079:44:30.00 W079:44:30.00 )LatRange( N39:52:52.19 N39:52:52.19 );Area( A N39:52:52.19 W079:44:30.00 100 ); PerspectiveCall( :_object_start ) ShadowCall( :_object_start ) Jump( : );:_object_start RefPoint( rel :_fail_return 0.50 N39:52:52.20 W079:44:30.00 V1= 0 V2= 1000 ) TransformCall( :_call_object 0 32767 0 0 0000 0 0000 0 0000 );:_call_object CallLibObj( 0 C545A27F 11D2E2EC 1000849C 2AE60C5A );:_fail_return Return;EndAThe autogen is preserved. The object crash-detection is fine. I used this number, as I believe it's the max altitude allowed by this call.With TransformCall, the first parameter is to the label for the object, in this case a library object. The next 3 parameters are signed integer numbers ( 16-bit ) for distance in meters from the point of origin ( in this case the longitude ( x ), AGL altitude ( z ), and latitude ( y )... I think ). Perhaps someone more knowledgable can confirm the X,Z,Y of the TransformCall as Long, Alt, Lat...?The final 6 parameters are the rotatation, just like rotated call, but followed by 0000, in each case, to reserve room for some kind of variable ( not needed for this code ). I'm not sure if rotation is integers or decimal.So, basically, I shift the refpoint temporarily straight up to 32767 meters, where it won't interfere with the autogen. At least I think I went vertical... :-lol This allows me to keep the V2 as 1000 meters, which normally would kill a lot of autogen. Setting v1 to 0 apparently tells the sim to display the object as soon as possible. I don't know the effect of this on framerates, or the rendering of other objects. If you set the altitude too close to the ground, the autogen is destroyed, and there may be a double shadow effect.At any rate, it seems to work.Dick

I don't get what you are doing? Why would you want to place your object in the air :)?Also, setting the v2 to 1000 is not really good normally. Set it as small as possible (so it fits the size of the object), to get best fps.Arno

Arno

But can you see any negative by using the dummy rotatedcall I now use? It seems to get rid of the autogen problems, and the object shows up just as before. Shouldn't be any FPS-hit either.This forum is unbelievable! :)/Sebastian

Guest JR Morgan

Hi --- You've made my day; Dummy RotatedCalls work to preserve autogen on Ground Polygons, Groups of buildings and mostly, everywhere I've tried them.BUT WHAT ARE THE MECHANICS DURING COMPILING OF THE CODE THAT MAKES THEM WORK?? :-).J.R.

Hi Arno.You miss the point...the object is sitting AGL, not in the air... it's on the ground, surrounded by autogen... even though the radius is huge! The 'temporary' distancing of the refpoint by the TransformCall allows the autogen to survive, even though a huge v2 is used.So the correct v2's of large objects should not affect autogen at all, if you 'fool' the autogen with the TransformCall. An object's radius doesn't need to affect autogen at all. That seems to have been a problem around airports. Others have moved the point to an area of water, where the 'moved' v2 will not disturb the ground's autogen. I had an idea to move it vertically... so we don't need a body of water to mask the autogen exclusion ( not much autogen at 32767 meters altitude ).I think SCASM's TransformCall is equivalent to BGLC's POINT_VICALL (0x46), but I think Manfred has altered the XYZ definitions to make x=longitudinal offset, y=latitudinal, and z=altitudinal. I'm not sure MS does it that way with BGLC.Dick