Sign in to follow this  
Deaf Pilot

What textures are used...

for the aiport ground? The grass.r8 texture is way too cartoony, and I cant find the texture that is used for the default airport grass. Can any of you help me out on that?

Airport skirts use a VTPMethod2 poly. I had the same problem with an airport I had to extend the runway on..I used the grass.r8 texture and it didn't change for the seasons.I started trying out LWMDraw and got ok at it, but had mixed results, until earlier today, when one of the scenery gurus mentioned a program SCM2XY2. It will generate the BGLC code needed to put an airport skirt poly down and look correct. Keep in mind this program is in beta and is command line, but it works famously. Easiest way for me to do it was to take my existing scenery (I used FSSC to do some of the mods), remove ANY reference to a texture bitmap in the poly, then compile it using the save source file (it should create a SCASM source file as well as the bgl file; you can discard this bgl file) then open the SCASM file and look for a section that looks like this:

; Polygon 1Area( 5 N37:15:21.2454 W093:24:01.3169 15 )	RefPoint( rel :lblEnd 0.05 N37:15:21.2454 W093:24:01.3169 v1= 15000 v2= 28200 )	Points( 0			-11160 0 8616			-5000 0 12980			10960 0 -8584			5220 0 -13012	)	Poly( au 0 1 2 3 ):lblEndEndA

Only use the section from the beginning of the polygon to the EndA statement, or this utility will not work properly. Then, run SCM2XY2 on the file. You then will be presented with a file that looks like this (usually called OUTPUT.ASM, or some variant thereof):

include TDFMacros.incinclude TDFHeaders.inc;  VTP Method2 Roads   37.26563  -93.75 BGLHeader  38,  36, -93, -95, TerrainHeaderStart, VTPHeaderVTPHeader   label   word	VTPFileHeader 256, VTPIndexStart, TextureStart, VTPEndVTPStart		label   word	datamark_v0 label   word		VTPDataArea 1, 1, 0, 0; Polygon 1		VTPLayer 4, 0		VTPNumTexturesInLayer 1, 0		VTPTextureId 4, 0		VTPPolyCount 1, 0		 VTPPolyMethod2  6, 0, 0	  VTPPointXY2  10058,  4217	  VTPPointXY2  10118,  4171	  VTPPointXY2  10275,  4396	  VTPPointXY2  10219,  4443	  VTPPointXY2  10201,  4418	  VTPPointXY2  10058,  4217	datamark_v1  label word; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Cellv_184_150	EQU  VTPCellID 0,  184,  150; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------	VTPIndexStart   label   word  VTPIndexHeader  1, VTPIndexData, VTPStart	VTPIndexData	label   word	VTPIndexEntry Cellv_184_150, VTPStart, datamark_v0, datamark_v1; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------TextureStart	label   word	VTPTextureListHeader 5, TextureIndexStart, TextureDataStart, TextureDataEndTextureIndexStart   label   word	VTPTextureListEntry TextureDataStart, texturemark_0, texturemark_1	VTPTextureListEntry TextureDataStart, texturemark_1, texturemark_2	VTPTextureListEntry TextureDataStart, texturemark_2, texturemark_3	VTPTextureListEntry TextureDataStart, texturemark_3, texturemark_4	VTPTextureListEntry TextureDataStart, texturemark_4, texturemark_5[b]TextureDataStart	label   word	texturemark_0   label   word		VTPTextureName "1162"		VTPTextureType 2, 0, 0, 4	texturemark_1   label   word		VTPTextureName "1158"		VTPTextureType 2, 0, 0, 4	texturemark_2   label   word		VTPTextureName "1160"		VTPTextureType 2, 0, 0, 4	texturemark_3   label   word		VTPTextureName "1025"		VTPTextureType 2, 0, 0, 4	texturemark_4   label   word		VTPTextureName "1189"		VTPTextureType 2, 0, 0, 4	texturemark_5   label   word[/b]TextureDataEnd  label   word; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------VTPEnd	  label   word

Notice the part I've highlited in bold. You'll need to change the VTPTextureType to 1, 0, 0, 4, and you'll need to change the VTPTextureName to "1183" (which is the standard grass airport skirt) for all texturemark_x entries...yours may have more if it's a more complex polygon; then compile this asm file with BGLC (which can be obtained by downloading the BGL compiler SDK from http://download.microsoft.com/download/Fli...mpiler_sdk.exe). It will then present you with a bgl that you place in your scenery directory, and voila!Be sure also that you have the files TDFMacros.inc and TDFHeaders.inc in the same directory that the BGLC.exe file resides in, or this won't work as well. I'm not sure if you can download them seperately, but I do know that a utility called CellGrid2 includes them in the package.Worked wonders for me.If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Hi guys... thanks so much for your help... to be really honest though, this is really too complicated for me to get into... I thought that maybe the texture just resided in a special folder or something. Thanks again for your help though.

Hi Todd,All I did was create a seasonal series of 4 grass bmp textures for my current project that are so close to the default ones not to bother. It was easy enough using PaintShop Pro.Roger

Not to be rude, but do you think I could get a copy of those textures? If youre okay with that, send them to clouddancer79@hotmail.com, please.