Sign in to follow this  

How to make custom object textures?

Hi all,Just starting with scenery design and having paved a Runway and created and painted my first building in Gmax with textures from the tutorial i will now try to make a building from scratch.I have made pictures (jpg's and already converted to bmp's) of a wooden barack and would like to convert them so i can use it in gmax.Is somebody willing to explain me how?What are the steps starting from making the picture and ending as an gmax texture ready to paste on the object?Specially i would like to know how to "cut out" the barack from the .bmp so i can leave stuff on the picture i don't need out(For example trees and grass around the barack)and after that paste all the building sides from 4 pictures in one .bmp ready to use image tool and to create mipmaps.Every help or hint would be much apreciated !Thanks in advance.regards,BenOh, forgot to tell that i am using Paint Shop Pro 7.0 !

For ground, runways, taxiways, pads, etc. use a different approach. Try Airport for Windows - http://www.airportforwindows.com/ , FSSC - http://www.fssc.avsim.net/ for freeware or one of the shareware programs.For 3D buildings you can use GMAX or other programs to build. For GMAX buildings use FSRegen - http://www.nhreas.com/fsregen.html to make APIs for use in your other Scenery design program above.I am no help on using PSP7.0.

Ben, you will want a utility to help u manipulate the image. Some good payware ones: adobe photoshop, corel photopaint, jasc paintshop proFreeware: gimp, www.gimp.orgwith one of these tools, (I use photopaint), my process is approximately:1. open my photo2. enlarge the canvas so I have room to work...if the image is 600x400, I'll enlarge to 1000x1000 commonly3. Select the content I want in the texture.4. once I select the content, I can invert the selection, and remove the rest.5. remove perspective...I'll often want to alter an image to remove perspective...this consists of reversing the perspective using the "distort" tool. Try to distort always in the direction to make the image smaller, that stops you from adding noise to the image.6. edit out artifacts...images that were between u and the building, use a "feather" on the selection tool, and then copy a suitable place on the image, and then "paste" it over the artifact.7. "compose" the texture: Fit the corrected, edited, pieces together to try to not waste space on the final texture8. Using a measrure tool or selection box, determine the size the texture would be to contain the largest piece of the imagry...you can move peices around to make it all squared up if need be. remember the general concept is the closer the image is to the original photo, the better the results. Finally decide whether to just fit the peices of image into a 256x256 image, or to make more than one texture of the peices. If u want two textures, then save as the main working texture. Then group the pieces of object into a corner and do a 256x256 pixel crop around them.Save the 256x256 pixel image as a bmp...must have layers flattened and cutom channels deleted if you added any.this is now what u'd apply to gmax as the material map.Before you will see it well in fs2k2, you convert the bmp into a dxt1 or dxt3 format using dxtbmp utitlity from martin wright...http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/index.htmother utilities exist too, read his page, I also use convim alot, and his tv viewer is awesome.Bob B

Hi Guy's,W.Sieffert:Thanks for the tips, but i already have these programs.My question was about how to use custom textures for buildings.But thanks again, nice to see people trying and willing to help !Hugo:Thanks for that URL, that site is really a help with many tutorials !Bob:You again? In English i can't understand fully what you explain this very moment.But i printed your explanation and i will study it with the Paint Shop Pro handbook beside me.With your explanation and the URL tip of Hugo i WILL succeed.Otherwise i will come back again with some (small) additional questions, o.k.?Thanks again guy's !regards,Ben.