Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Mesh or Land Class?

Hi Everyone: I have a newb question about the differance between Mesh scenery and Land Class. What's the difference?? and...do you have to use one or the other or can you install both for the same area? Do any of you have preferances and if so why? I guess this is boring stuff if you've got it all figured out, but I'm just beginning.Thanks in advance for your responsesBest,

LandClass is also a sort of mesh, but if you mean LandClass and DEM, then that can work fine together.Mesh scenery is a collection of the following things:- DEM: this is the height data of the mesh- LandClass: this is a sort of raster of textures that determines which type of generic texture will appear on the map.- VTP/LWM: these are the new mesh polygons that appear on top of the LandClass dataBoth the LandClass and VTP polygons follow the form of the DEM data.I hope this helps (a bit) :)Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi JEH.To make it as simple as possible:Mesh is the elevation of the ground. Landclass assigns the texture to the ground.The sim requires both mesh and landclass.Dick

Hey...Thanks! They're both good descriptions, but the second one is great for techno dummies like me. So I don't have to worry about installing both types of 3rd party scenery for a particulay area.Great.Thanks again for your help.

Hi JEH.There should be no problems with 3rd party types, but there are a few cautions to make sure they show up properly.Some areas, especially in the US, are already meshed at a high Level Of Detail ( LOD )... so some 3rd party meshes might not show up in those already detailed areas, unless the designer has taken this into account. Most mesh authors are well aware of that problem.As far as landclass, the order in the Scenery Library determines what shows up.. those at the top of the list will cover their area. Also, a landclass BGL needs to be in a 'scenery' folder, with no twin 'texture' folder present, unlike most BGLs.I have a "C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesLandClass" folder. Inside that I have a "scenery" folder. Inside that, I keep all my addon landclass BGLs. I activate it inside the sim, via the Scenery Library, and all is well. As I collect more landclass BGLs, I just place them in this "scenery" folder, and they show up just fine.Dick