Sign in to follow this  

I need a simple, and quick example!

of course, its best if everyone helps....I couldn't answer today from work...too busy.Ok, Scott...course I can't say from specifics cuz you haven't told me what airport your working on, but you first need to open the "edit" menu, and click on scenery properties. Fill in the tab called Airport and Dimensions.Once you set the "dimensions" with the latitude and longitude value, you'll find that the cursor now has an associated lat/long attached to it, and is reported in the bottom of the window.You can find a theoretical value at www.airnav.com for locations, and of course, you can use fs2k2 directly to find that info also.Once you have done this paperwork, you're ready to start designing. Like others have said, a background bitmap is helpful. In your case, you will likely best use a screenshot from the "top down" view of fs2k2, because you've said you want to decorate the default. As others have said, the length of the runway is a known (airnav), so you can calibrate your image by measuring the number of pixels for the runway and dividing meters length by pixels. This is a good place to start for scale. Add your bitmap background by right clicking on your screen. Look at all the menus to get familier with the options. new misc object is where you can add the bitmap...you'll see the options. Derek calls scale "zoom factor", but you get the point. You may want to put the cross hairs on the terminal you want to decorate when you take the screenshot for the background cuz then the centerpoint lat/long will also match the center point on the screen, but that's up to you.I've learned to NOT take too seriously image scale, nothing seems too sure in design, so I am always accepting of prooving positions, or calibrations. For instance, even if I'm sure I have the building positioned so when I decorate it it'll show up right, but before I get too far into it, I'll make a couple of simple objects and export, just to prove they show up just as I expect. Once they do, I'll erase them and get into it.Save your jetway apis somewhere where you can browse to, and rightclick to add them. "add new 3d object" gets you to the macro page...browse to the macro and add it. Depending on the scale of the macro, you may end up with 10 times bigger than you want or something, but don't worry, just adjust using the scale on the macro page if required.to export, hit file/export wizard...the page showing gives you a place to put your folder you want your scenery to show up in. Derek made this create a scenery folder, so just direct the wizard to your parent directory.Have fun....Bob Bernstein

The airport I am working with is KSAN (San Diego, CA), Terminal 1 (Southwest Airlines).The scale thing is still got me baffeled and as for the rest of what you said I will have to give it a try. Thanks!

EURIKA!After all the wonderful help you guys have offered I finally have JETWAYS on my TERMINAL BUILDING.Now, Can someone clue me in on how I can place a LOGO on the JETWAYS or on the side of the terminal itself. I see no obvious way to create VERTICAL polygon and map a BMP file to it! That would seem like the simplist way to achieve the desired results, but from what I've come to realise the past few days is there is nothing simple and straight forward about scenery design.I would happy to email the LOGO to whoever can help! thanks

congrats!for the logo, u need to make ur own api. EOD is free, and may be a good choice, I don't know it so I'm guessing. GMAX is my tool, but a steep learning curve.Bob B

Bob,I do know the JETWAY.API I am using was made with GMAX. Is there a chance I could modify he API with GMAX and add the logo?I have worked with Lightwave 6.0, 3D Studio Max 3 and some with MAYA, but doing 3D is not for me. The rendering of an animation takes way too long.If you know any great tutorials I might give it a try though. Thanks, Bob! You've been a great help and inspiration to me.

I wish I had seen this thread earlier.Anyway, Scott I think you have had success and I will send you the amended logo texture.Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I think your problem is now resolved and I will send you the logo texture later.RegardsShez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Shez A,You're a good man! You have been a tremendous help, as have many of you in the FS Community, and I sincerely thank you all.Looking forward to the nexw texture!One other thing, Shez. If you know of any good tutorials for GMAX I would like to consider this program as I have worked with 3D Studio Max 2.5 & 3, but only briefly.

Hey Scott,I don't know of any books for GMAX, but head on over to http://www.freeflightdesign.com/tutorials.html You should find plenty of online tutorials that cover a multitude of GMAX related issues.Also, food for thought, if you have experience and are comfortable with another 3D package, you might consider using it to model and then bringing your wire file into GMAX to texture. The trick is that the 3D software has to export .obj files and you need to get the MaxScript import file from discreet*. I use LightWave to do all of my modeling, export the wire as an .obj and import it into GMAX for texturing. For me it works really well.Cheers,Jim

Making changes without prior permission is not something I'd consider without prior permission (at least not if I want to make those changes public. If I intend to keep them to myself I may.Whether such permission should be asked before setting out or only when there is something to show of the direction you're taking is an open question.Some copyright owners want to be asked before anything is done at all, others want to see what you're doing so they have an indication of whether your work will result in an actual improvement before giving permission.But whatever you do, NEVER release a file from someone else's work whether free or commercial without explicit written permission (in these days, an email might suffice).