Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

How to replace flawed default scenery?

Guest MikeEppright

Gentlemen,Default Kansas City has a serious flaw. The distintive Kemper Arena which sits in the west bottoms has been positioned by Microsoft where another distinctive Kansas City icon(Bartle Hall) sits. I have timkered without success with fixing this. I've even renamed the file in the Scenery/City directory and started another one, properly named, but program doesn't buy it. Any suggestions?Mike Eppright

I unfortunately don't have the answer, but will add that Comiskey Park (baseball field 4nm south of the Sears Tower)in Chicago should be moved approx 1/8th mile to the east to be accurate. Not a big deal unless you live nearby. Hope you get your answer.

Guest MikeEppright

I wish an eighth of a mile was all that was wrong with KC scenery.Thanks for the note.

You'd have to exclude the original and create a replacement from scratch that you then put in in the appropriate position.The first is quite easy, the second depends on your skills with GMax :-lol

It is, in fact, quite simple to remove an object and place it in the "correct" location.To remove, simply exclude it. This can be done with any of the scenery design programs.To place it again, get the BGL Compiler Software Development Kit from the Microsoft Developer pages on the FS2002 web site.This contains a list of all (!) the objects placed within the game. Just find the one you want and place it using BGLPlacer that is included in the S.D.K. This is very easy and consists of simply indicating the object that you want to place and its coordinates. BGLPlacer creates a plain old CSV file that you drag and drop on the BGLC (BGL Compiler) to get the bgl.The list of objects is somewhat cryptic, so you may have to place a number of them to find what you want.Best regards.Luis

Guest Joe

As always, Luis, very good information.Thank you,[big]J[/big]OE - [big]B[/bIG]USH [bIG]F[/bIG]LYING [bIG]U[/bIG]NLIMITED ...at home in the wild[marquee scrollamount="2" width=500]j[/marquee]

Hi Mike.To add to what Luis has said...The "KansasC.bgl" is a library object BGL. It's got 4 objects:NW_ARRWNW_ARRW2NW_CONVNW_LIBMI'll assume the object is one of these four.If you remove this BGL, you won't be able to place the objects.The actual placement of the objects are in "F5284731.bgl", along with hundreds of other objects, runways, etc... So, you don't want to remove that, either.As Luis writes, you need to write an exclude BGL for the misplaced object, then re-place it ( and rotate it if needed ) with another BGL created by BGLPlacer and the newest version of BGLC.For a more advanced look at BGLPlacer and the newer BGLC that compiles it's output:http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID10/1755.htmlDick

Guest MikeEppright

Luis,Thanks for the prod. I have tried the exclude routine before without success. This time I excluded a much bigger area and achieved success. Makes me wonder if center of file excluded plays a part. At any rate, I already have a reasonable replacement for Arrowhead Stadium done and have a handle of Kemper. Royals Stadium is yet to go and I have several good photos to work with. I imagine downtown KC and surronding area will look much better eventually. Race is to achieve some level of finish to deserve upload before MS announces next version (:-] ).

Guest MikeEppright

Luis,Your information worked like a charm! Problem solved. Its people such as yourself that keep me coming back. I have solved many problems over the years in forums such as FSFORUM first and now AVSIM. My hats off to you.

Hello Mike,Glad you could get your town looking the way it should.Perhaps you could make us all happy and post a screenshot? It would be appreciated.Best regards.Luis

Hi Mike.When excluding the default scenery, it pays to find the default BGL, and decompile it with BGLAnalyze, or SCDIS, in order to find the Refpoint of the object you wish to exclude, and it's size ( v2 ). It is the Refpoint that usually needs to be excluded... and sometimes objects are offset from the Refpoint, which can lead to lots of frustration.I've found that simply enclosing the apparent object with an exclude doesn't always work... but find out it's refpoint, and you will be able to exclude it with a small exclude area.Dick