Sign in to follow this  
Flyer Ken

Reloading scenery

I've just started experimenting with FS Scenery Creator. FSSC seems quite easy to use and I sucessfully created a small scenery file that looked the way I wanted it to. But reloading the scenery so I could look at changes seems to be a pain. I've been deleting the scenery and then reloading it each time. Is there an easier way to do it?

Hi Ken,I'm pretty sure there's no way around the delete/reload dance. Oh, how I wish I was wrong about that, though, 'cause it is indeed a pain.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

No need to delete it first.If you have made it so a file should be gone, that file should be deleted of course (if it's a bgl, textures not necessarilly) but you can keep the scenery area in place.

You just have to deactivate the scenery, copy/delete the files and then reactivate the scenery.

I almost never have to go to that extreme, just bring up the library list, double click on the layer you've updated, and then click "ok".Normally it updates....sometimes it won't....but it usually doesBob Bernstein

Ah the eternal FS2002 problem...What I find is that GMAX created library items do not update even through an update of the scenery in the Scenery Library. I usually restart FS2002 and leave the default start position as the area I am designing so FS opens updated. Any adjustment in the Airport for Windows however almost always updates if you just select Scenery Library and just click OK without any changes.Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

True, normal BGL files are just updated by going to the Scenery library and clicking OK to leave it again. For libraries that doesn't work and then "just" restart the sim.I have my FS setup that way that it always starts where I left the sim, so that way restarting the sim isn't that painfull.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest cwright

>..................>Any adjustment in the Airport for Windows however almost >always updates if you just select Scenery Library and just >click OK without any changes. That's a nice feature of Airport. If I load a new version of a bgl into FS I assume the same Scenery Library procedure would work - except for one small snag: Windows won't let me do that, because the file is already being used by FS. I assume that somehow Airport is overriding the normal Windows protection. Does anyone know how this can be done? Best regards, Chris

Hi Chris,No, it is not about Airport or not.What you name there is the case for all mesh BGL files (including VTP/LWM). If you have a normal section 9 SCASM BGL file then it never is a problem, but for the mesh BGL files it seems that FS locks them. For those files you would need to close FS first.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Autogen is also dectivated ( sometimes ) when you deactivate/remove a library object BGL... and simply pressing "OK" in the Scenery Library won't help.If you don't want to restart the sim, you can start a 'flight' at the other side of the planet, or 'goto' an airport there, then restart "previous flight", and the autogen returns!When working in Wisconsin, I usually go to a New Zealand flight, then return to regenerate the autogen. Sometimes I just stay in New Zealand :)Dick

I prefer to restart the sim :-lolTwice loading the scenery (once to move to the other side and once to move back) takes more time then restarting the sim ussually.Especially when you close the sim and restart it right away it is often still in the cache/memory for a bit and it reloads rather fast.Also I have setup the sim so I return to the same place where I closed it, so that makes it rather fast :).And indeed when you update a library object BGL a restart is also needed, just like the mesh.Arno

Arno

Thanks for all the replies - I was hoping there was some simple trick I was missing. I'll try the double clicking trick. Hopefully that will work. But it is a pain. A "reload" button would be nice!