Sign in to follow this  

Who's got high FPS, with what PC spec??

Well my new computer that I just ordered will have an Athlon XP 2200+ AT LEAST (will O/C it), 1.5 GB of PC3200 DDR (will O/C the FSB), Gainward GeForce 4 ti4600, dual 80GB hard drives RAID 0, and mad cooling. I'm gonna be ###### if I don't get good, FPS. :-lol-Jake :-xxrotflmao

Guest Max Cowgill

>Counting down the days I see, let me know how it goes with >your new computer! Actually, I'm just upgrading my old comp (picked it up for a cool $200 w/monitor at a pawn shop) ;) My new comp will decimate this POS. I'm planning on a Sledgehammer 3400+, NV30/Parhelia, at least a Gig of PC2700 or PC3200 DDR ram, RAID, and a whole bunch of other goodies :) In the meantime (before Hammer and the next-gen video cards are released) I may upgrade to an Athlon XP system w/DDR ram just to get some of the components out of the way before I go with my ultimate Hammer system in Q4 (God I'm a nerd, referring to dates in business terms) ;) It's a great time to be a techno-geek :-lolMax Cowgill

Guest Max Cowgill

Jerry, if you want better image quality turn OFF mip-mapping and turn up your anisotropic setting as well as enable trilinear (or at least bilinear) filtering. By the look of the screenshot you posted you have mip-mapping enabled and no IQ-enhancing filtering of any kind (or so low a setting it doesn't make a difference). Otherwise, it looks like you may have a high level of anti-aliasing enabled, which tends to blur textures... You can leave FSAA on if you like the reduction of jaggies and don't mind the performance drop, but realize that it's going to blur your images somewhat.Max Cowgill

Guest PaulL01

>Jerry, if you want better image quality turn OFF mip-mapping >and turn up your anisotropic setting as well as enable >trilinear (or at least bilinear) filtering. By the look of >the screenshot you posted you have mip-mapping enabled and >no IQ-enhancing filtering of any kind (or so low a setting >it doesn't make a difference). Otherwise, it looks like you >may have a high level of anti-aliasing enabled, which tends >to blur textures... You can leave FSAA on if you like the >reduction of jaggies and don't mind the performance drop, >but realize that it's going to blur your images somewhat. >>Max Cowgill why on earth would you disable Mipmaping with good hardware? Yuk!In the image I posted above in the other post as well as this one Mipmaping is on And everything else is as in the specs below with the exception of these settings in the fs2k2.cgf:I run FS2k2 as set up with these values(last three lines):TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=10.500000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=7TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=2TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=0 ;0=off 1=onTERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=5.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=8.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=3http://www.frontiernet.net/~pleatzaw/images/50k.jpgAm I mising something, Besides my Beer? :-lolPaul

Guest Max Cowgill

>why on earth would you disable Mipmaping with good hardware? >Yuk! >>In the image I posted above Mipmaping is on And everything >else is as in the specs below. >>Am I mising something, Besides my Beer? :-lol Why turn off mip-mapping? Because mip-mapping lowers the texture quality the farther out from the "camera" they (the textures) are. If you have good enough hardware (i.e. a video card with say 128MB frame buffer) you shouldn't have to worry about texture "swimming" that you would normally get with mip-mapping off on lower-end hardware. This is, of course, with a decent aniso level and filtering applied to the image, of course. As for your beer, I still think I was right and I say we at least wait until the Parhelia announcement has been made to determine who was right. :)signing off for the night,Max Cowgill

Guest SD Sim

I have found that if I turn off ATC and dynamic scenery, this makes a huge difference in the performance of FS2K2pro. I fly exclusively props, and have FPS locked at 25. Everything else is either maxed out, or close to max. My add-on scenery (Orlando Sotamayer's 30m San Diego mesh) is very pleasing with these settings. If you haven't already tried turning off dynamic scenery, give it a try. I am more than willing to give up ATC for the boost in performance.

Guest PaulL01

>Why turn off mip-mapping? Because mip-mapping lowers the >texture quality the farther out from the "camera" they (the >textures) are. Yes, its angle + distance. If you have good enough hardware (i.e. a >video card with say 128MB frame buffer) you shouldn't have >to worry about texture "swimming" that you would normally >get with mip-mapping off on lower-end hardware. If you have turned off mipmapping No video card in the world can make any difference here as the "swimming" is a product of a number of Bmp pixels competing for a the same single pixel on your screen, this sets up the "swimming" and "boiling" and adds to the moir

jerrycwo4Paul, You said, "I run FS2k2 as set up with these values(last three lines)". I don't understand what you mean by that line. Would you please explain it in a differant way with a little more detail? Thanks jerry

Guest PaulL01

>jerrycwo4 >>Paul, You said, >> "I run FS2k2 as set up with these values(last three >lines)". >> I don't understand what you mean by that line. Would you >please explain it in a differant way with a little more >detail? > Thanks > jerrySure Jerry,FS2k2 has a Fs2002.cfg file located in the FS2k2 main folder.Three lines of that *.cfg file contribute towards image quality and are not adjustable by anymeans other that to open the FS2002.cfg with a text editor like Notepad and to change the values there.Under the Terrain section you will find the following three lines of code: (I have Substituted the brackets with )>TERRAIN

If you want a excellent graphics with reasonable fps, take a look at the "Fast Systems" page at my site. (URL below)