Sign in to follow this  
Guest PaulL01

3DLabs Next-Gen "VPU" Details

Guest Max Cowgill

There are finally details on the next-gen VPU (Visual Processing Unit as they're calling it) from 3DLabs, which may very well turn out to be an NV30/Parhelia/R300 killer. I'm not even going to try to dumb this one down, so if you want more details than what I have provided here, you'll have to go read this: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1614&p=1The basic concept behind this "VPU" is to combine the programmability of a CPU with the raw graphics power of a GPU. The P10 will supposedly feature a 256-bit DDR memory interface with approximately 20GB of onboard memory bandwidth!!! :-eek There is also talk of full DX9 compatibility within the near future. Multiple processors on-die, "virtual memory system" ay carumba! the madness! the madness!!! Currently this product is targeted for the high-end workstation system, and not for your average gamer but there will be a consumer version later this year.Max Cowgill

Guest Max Cowgill

^bumpage^ having read both the Anandtech and THG P10 articles, I find the Anandtech article to be much more informative, so I suggest reading that one :)Max Cowgill

Won't do a thing for framerates! The FS scenery engine uses the main CPU (Central Processing Unit) to calculate camera position and orientation. It does not use the Graphics Processing Unit. If you don't believe me ask ask the Capt. or Mr Evans . >:)~Also it will be much cheaper to buy n fly a real plane! :*

Guest Max Cowgill

I said nothing about MSFS in either of my posts.... This was just a general "inform the public" type of post with no relation to MSFS. BTW, I'm one of the last people on these forums that needs to be educated about how performance is related to MSFS... :-rollMax Cowgill

Guest PaulL01

>Won't do a thing for frame rates! >>The FS scenery engine uses the main CPU (Central Processing >Unit) to calculate camera position and orientation. It does >Not use the Graphics Processing Unit. If you don't believe >Me ask the Capt. or Mr. Evans. >:)~ >>Also it will be much cheaper to buy n fly a real plane! :* You are now cracking me up! :-lolFirst, the Capt has some screws missing, I know because I took them from him, and you can ask him if you don