Sign in to follow this  
Holger

The lake that wasn't ...

Hi everyone:Still working on patching my LOD7/LOD9 meshes of British Columbia. The problem of the day is visible in the screen shot attached below: it's one of a number of lakes that the good FS2002 people had extra and spread liberally across mountaintops. In other words, the lake doesn't exist in reality and I want it to disappear! I did say, please, but that didn't seem to work ;-)Since there's this huge influx of new scenery utilities and I'm just a poor mesh designer, I'd like to ask you to hazard a guess as to which tool would be the least messy (read: time spent with the manual) to exclude this and other offensive lakes and replace them with good hard earth.Thanks so much for bearing with me on ths one.Cheers, Holger

Hello Holger,I have tried all the recent programs for making or modifying terrain, and they are all pretty good.However, not one of them is really for beginners. They all require a good command of the concepts, or they will just confuse you.Ground2k (?, why not Ground2k2?) by Christian Fumey does have a very easy method for excluding, though. Just double click within a LOD13 area and up pops a window with a vast list of terrain objects (rivers, roads, etc.)Just check the items that you want to exclude and that is it. An exclude bgl will be generated.The only negative aspect of this exclude is that all the objects you have chosen are excluded within the LOD13 area, including any that you may add yourself!All in all, however, Ground2k is an extraordinary effort by Christian that seems to cover all the bases, except for mesh. Une grande r

Hi Holger.The lake can be made land with an LWM landmask.The Shoreline can be excluded with a VTP layer8 exclude.The flattened effect, where the water is, is nearly impossible to "undo". Once mesh has been flattened by an LWM waterpoly, the flatten remains, unless you delete the BGL causing the lake ( not a good idea, because you'll delete the water in 100's of square miles ).We've tried varoius methods to "remesh" with tiny LWM invisible flattens, but no method is truly satisfactory... One severe limitation in your case, is that schemes to remesh do not react well if the "FS2002.CFG" file is altered to allow:TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21Any value over the default 19, will cause any LWM remeshing to look terrible. And I suspect your mesh will not look as you like, unless you have made that change in the CFG file, as most mesh designers like to do.Hopefully this will be fixed in FS2004, so we can revert LWM flattened areas to their mesh state.Dick

Hi Louis and Dick:thanks so much for the prompt and detailed response!I'll give it a go with Ground2k and, if successfull, will post a before-after screen shot. However, if I can't get rid of the flatten switch, I don't know if it's going to look much better in the end.Dick, you wrote "We've tried variuos methods to "remesh" with tiny LWM invisible flattens ...". Can you guide me to resources or threads in this forum on that method? I keep TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL at the default 19, as the LOD9 (67m) mesh looks perfectly fine with it (as the above screen shot shows), so maybe I can try rebuilding that mountain. The reason I'd like to get this done is that this and at least two other lakes are wedged right into the top of mountains and, with those cliffs around them, are visible from a long distance.Thanks again! Cheers, HolgerP.S. I assume it is not possible to disassemble the default .bgl that includes the "lake-no-lake", remove the offending object, and recompile?