Sign in to follow this  

How do you create a light with a reflection?

HiI developed alittle further from my previous post of wanting to know how to create a light in Gmax for Fs.when using BRIGHT_LIGHT, i can see the whole shape illumated during the day and night, but it's not exactly what i hoped for. I'm after a light which simulates the same effect of the lights on a/c ie. nav lights, landing lights.I've tried to assign other material names to the object ie. _LAND, _NAV etc, but then the object decides not to show up in FS.Can you please tell me of a method i could use to produce a light that looks like a landing light, with the reflection over the ground/or surrounding objects?I'm wanting to use it as "Scenery" only, i don't understand why i need to convert it into MDL, seeing as i'm a novice on this aspect of Gmax.CheersWill ;)

Hi Will,If you use a light_land you are able to light the ground, but it is not possible (limitation of the scenery engine) to light other scenery objects. So only the light_land is able to illuminate the ground for you,Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

AH bummer! :(I was hoping it would be able to do such a thing.If possible can you tell me how to create a light like we see on the a/c as navigational lights, but except it will be used for scenery again?Is there anything particular I need to do while exporting the object - because i'm trying to avoid the same result again when I used BRIGHT_LIGHT; where the whole object was illuminated, instead of being made up of smaller lights.Cheers

>AH bummer! :( It's a limitation of the scenery egine. The MDL files of the aircraft are processed differently and therefore it works with aircraft.>Is there anything particular I need to do while exporting >the object - because i'm trying to avoid the same result >again when I used BRIGHT_LIGHT; where the whole object was >illuminated, instead of being made up of smaller lights. No, normally you don't have to do anything special. But I can't remember that BRIGHT_LIGHT is one of the light types listed in the MakeMDL SDK. I think BRIGHT_ as prefix is used to light up the entire object and that explains the results you get. Try to use LIGHT_BEACON or LIGHT_NAV instead.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

HiUsing either _Nav or _Beacon doesn't do anthing. When exporting the _Beacon, it results in an error.If anyone else out there has any idea how to do any of this, please let me know.Thanks

Hi WillI'm no expert in scenery design, but have you tried creating an fx file. I think they can be set to specific locations as in the case of fireworks, so you could use them in scenery.

Alaister Kay

Hi AlaisterI haven't tried creating an fx file, it's totally new to me, i don't even know where to start hehe.But if anyone has any information on how to make a fx file, ... let me know.CheersWill

You must use light_beacon or light_nav.But you can use bright_xxx.

I think that in case of beacon light the part (vertex) must be named Beacon2, ...3 , ...4, ...5 and also material must carry the name Light_beacon. It is not the case with other lights, where just naming material Light_nav, Light_logo etc. etc. does usually the trick.Ted

>I think that in case of beacon light the part (vertex) must >be named Beacon2, ...3 , ...4, ...5 and also material must >carry the name Light_beacon. It is not the case with other >lights, where just naming material Light_nav, Light_logo >etc. etc. does usually the trick. >Ted You only need the material name Light_beacon to get a light.If you name the part(vertex) Beacon it only adds rotation to the light, but since it's not directional you need to look closely to se it.

I have tried to get some landing light fx files from aircraft to work in a scenery, but it seems they do not work. Maybe there is a difference between how they are used in aircraft and scenery.Arno

Arno

Not all effects are suitable and applicable for the scenery. Here is a link to program which makes placing any effect from your effect folder a breeze: http://www.echos.ch/eod/fsfx.htmBTW - subject of fx_effects, particles and controlers etc., etc. deserves some deeper study and experimenting, because as even SDK says "it is extremely powerfull". Sounds promissing, doesn't it.It is my humble opinion that various forms random animation including people in traffic could perhaps be accomplished using the above mentioned tools and features.Ted

HiI've tried many times to try to create a light in gmax which is similar to that of a nav light.I've created a shape e.g. a sphere, converted it to editable mesh, then assigned a material of one of the following:Bright_lightLight_navLight_landLight_beaconLight_logoI've assigned many different colours under these material names. Excluding the Bright_light, some material names from above have resulted in either errors in Gmax itself or with no visible light in FS. Still as yet, i've only had success with an illimated object (Bright_light) but not of what i'm after.I've tried all the material names as suggested with no success.I would therefore appreciate it if you could provide me with a very clear method for a novice user of how to develop a light similar to that of a NAV light for SCENERY USE ONLY (NOT a/c); including applying the material, and exporting the object.You've all given me the impression that you've all had success in creating this light, so please can you share this info other than material names.P.S. I've just tried to use the "halo.bmp" in FStexture and i've managed to get it to display on the object as a light, but only managed it as a texture at the moment.Any tutorial that clearly explains how to create a light as scenery (NOT a/c) would be appreciated. ThanksWill