Sign in to follow this  

Runway Modifications

OK you guys really helped me out getting the NDB correct at my favorite local airport. Is there a method for extending my favorite airport's main runway? They have repaved it since FS2002. It was 4200' and now it is 5500'. Any tools for doing this kind of work?thanks,Dennis Mitchell

I would exclude the default Fs2002 runway and then place a new (and longer one). You could use a program like Airport (http://www.airportforwindows.com), FSSC (http://www.avsim.com/fssc) or GroundMaker (http://www.groundmaker.org). If you have some problems in how to get it working, don't hesitate to come back here :).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Ok,I have two of the programs and I am learning about them.How do I exclude the default RW from the FS2k2 scenery?I want to make this available to my friends at the local airport. Dose this present any special challenges that I may be unaware of?Thanks for your help. It is going to make our local airport a little closer to the real thing.Dennis Mitchell

Hi Dennis,To exclude the default runway, you need to create an exclude area with any of the programs mentioned. There will most certainly be such an option in the program you use. You need to make the exclude cover the ref.point of the runway, but the easiest thing for you if you do not care too much about missing autogen areas etc. is to just draw a big exclude rectangle around the coordinates where the runway is in FS (set e.g. runway center coordinates to project coordinates in the program you use). The exclude switch must be set to "scenery and runways". Remember that that switch also removes autogen from within the rectangylar area. That's why it's best to have a small exclude just over the ref.point of the runway (trial and error to find the coordinates for the ref.point I guess).