Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Beginner - need Antarctic Airport design help

I'm a beginner and wanted to add a new airport NZWD McMurdo Station Williams Field. This airport is located on the Ross Ice Shelf off of Ross Island Hut Point. The ice shelf is not modeled in FS2k2. In fact, I don't see any texture at all in the ocean here.I am using FSSC which seems a little easier than Airport 2.60. I used the winter tundra deafult texture to create the airport area, which doesn't look too bad. The field elevation is 58 ft but my airport appears to "float" above the water, rather than look like it rises out of the water. When viewed from above, the new scenery straight down is set correctly, but areas towards the horizon appear to move against the default scenery, as though projected onto the surface from an elevation. As a result, the ice sheet appears to move away from coast line revealing open water depending on where the aircraft is. So, I need to figure out how to "ground" my airport.scott s..

Fs2002 shows some serious scenery problems near the poles. But there is already a scenery for Antarctica with some information regarding the ice shelf: "ant02.zip" by Ted Kessel.Regards,Claudius

I've downloaded ant02.zip but haven't installed it yet.I take it this problem is not encountered elsewhere on the sim globe?scott s..

Scott,Did you use the flatten thingie from the Misc menu in FSSC to set the altitude. If that's not it check the scenery properties via the Edit pull down menu. It's there somewhere and mentioned in the help/tutorial. I've used it to flatten lakes etc that appear sometimes when using detailed mesh files.Andy

Thanks. I took a look. I have an "area16N.bgl" flattenthat surrounds my ground texture poly. All of the default inthis area is water. I also have a "smooth" are set up aroundthe runways. I notice my ground texture does not have a layerassigned. Maybe it should be level 4?I looked at the Ant02 scenery another person has released,it it seems to ahve a similar problem with the addon ice flowthat is on the water moving relative to land as seen from top down view depending on position.scott s..