Sign in to follow this  
Guest rasbeck

Frame Rates

Guest rasbeck

Just wondering what anyone else would call a good acceptable frame rate guide to build to and also which parts of scenery seem to be bigger framerate killers than others.I'm just building my first scenery at the moment and at present I'm getting 30fps most of the time apart from the odd little patch or 2 where it drops to 20/25fps which I'm quite happy with. But was just thinking if there was some sort of "benchmark" that the rest of you work to as far as this is concerned.As for framerate killers, if anyone has anything on what I should be trying to avoid that would slow things down to a halt then I'd be happy to know.Paul.

Well, I think it's always healthy thinking of the polygon count a bit now and then while you are designing, just so that you won't add any excessive polygons etc. Always try to design as intelligently as you can. Think, what is the best combination of looks and speed for this certain 3d-object I want to design etc. etc. Then of course tens of megas of textures always take their share of computer speed. :)

I always look for things which 'catch' when viewing -- sit in the middle of your scenery area and rotate the view around quickly -- see where the stutters are, and track down the culprit.On my limited system I try not to go below 70% of the pre-scenery framerates. It may be useful to test your scenery on a low-spec machine, as this is the quickest way to show up frame-rate hitters.

Guest gorchi

Hi Paul!I do agree with both Your repliers and just to mention, for me is the lowest acceptable limit around 10 FPS but I try to have it above 14 FPS. 16 FPS is the limit of slide show, having 20 FPS is quite comfortable and I have also blocked my FPS to 20 because of autogen. If You block FPS at higher number that would produce also less autogen if FS could make it. And visually difference between 20 and 25 fps is small, between 25 and let's say 40 is unseable; only less autogen trees and houses ;(Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Guest rasbeck

Thanks for the replies and from them it looks like I've finally got somthing right with learning all this new stuff then..:-) I'm only working on a very small area but trying to keep the poly's low by forward planning and also set myself a target of no less than 20fps with it only being a small addon area.I'll also have to fire up one of my older machines (650mhz) and see what happens with it in there which is something I hadn't thought of.Thanks againPaul.