Guest Richard Hill

Dick;I was wondering if you thought about developing a step by step tutorial, on using Ground2K. For example I have made several Terrascene immages and saved them on CD's with boundary data, I would like to know if I could use them in Ground2k to define land use textures water and transportation. I have read Ground2K several times but do not know how to even start.Richard;

Not that I would not like to have such a tutorial, but to start the program you open "new" in the menu and then double click (not type) on the first empty field. It will open window where you give name to your new Project. It is somehow confusing that you see empty fields, which need to be double clicked and not typed-in as one would expect. And again I pray for tutorial because the interface of the Ground2k is sometimes little hard. It is really for the popularity sake of this program, which no doubt it deserves.Ted

I have discovered lack of any file association of the *.r8, *.pal *.0 and *.1 formats in my FS texture folder. That may have prevented display of the landclass textures in Ground2K program as reported by me earlier in this thread. How to correct this problem and what program should be used for these file formats?Ted

Hello Ted,All the Microsoft ground and water textures are in dxt compressed format with a bmp extension. It makes no difference if your system has no assignment for r8, pal, or other formats as they are not used for ground textures anyway. In any case, Ground2K will directly read the formats required for its use, even if they are not assigned in your file options.More likely, your problem arises, as Dick Ludowise said, because you do not have an installation in the expected directory, i.e., C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight SimulatorTexture.As for land use, I have had good success using aerial images as a guide. They are easy to find for the U.S., although I do not know if this is your case. U.S.G.S. aerial images are available from a large number of sources for free, although you may want to try Microsoft's TerraServer site.Best regards.Luis

Hi Ted.Under the 'Parameters' menu, chose 'General parameters' and direct the program to the FS2002 root folder.Dick