Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Facilities.dll error

Guest RobA

Hi everyone, I'm not having any real problems with my scenery design and read Dick's posts over and over. :-) What is happening is that when installing a new scenery I get a FS crash with the msg that an error in Facilities.dll has occured. After the sim shuts down a 1.2 gigabyte index file is written to my main FS folder. This doesn't happen with all .afd files because I have a lot of add on afd files for various sceneries installed. But, lately any scenery I install that has an .afd file causes this. If I remove the .afd file there is no problem. Anyone ever see this?Thanks,Rob

Hi Rob I thought I was the only one with this problem. It doesn't seem to matter how scenery is installed ie: add-on folder, scenery dbonce fs rebuilds database and tries to update facilities it crashes.I checked in afd bgl's that crash and they refer to new type facilities entries. The afd bgl's that work refer to old type facility entries. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but maybe someone else has an idea. The last one I tried was Tom Fica'sBethel Outposts, it works without afd.bgls but not if they are included. If anyone can offer any advice Please Do.

Guest RobA

Rick, Glad you replied! It's almost a relief knowing I'm not alone with this. ;-) Same here with Tom Fica's Bethel Outposts and I looked at the bgl and see those same entries refering to new type facilities. It's only been this last small batch of bush sceneries that are causing it. Did you see in your main FS folder that a file was written of between .5 and 1.2 gigabyte? I can use the scenery but can't find it. LOLBest, Rob

Hi RobI did have huge file index_file in fs2002,seems to be a scenery index of some sort,about 500 mbs. This seems to be where problem comes from.I deleted it and reloaded fs and it recreated new index (around 4.5mbs)it was a pain to get fs to rebuild index_file had to reboot and mess around to get it to work. You need to have this file to change start locations. If its not there sim crashes with faciities dll error. I searched all over to try and find info re; this problem but no luck. The Bethel outpost show on my add-on scenery list. They also show in FS Navigator but don't have name on them. I have tried a couple of other new sceneries that have afd bgl's and same problem.Maybe someone who designs sceneries has some insight into how to cure this. I also changed facilities.dll and it did't helpRegardsRick

Are these new AFD files being placed with the new scenery or are they being placed in the fs2002scenedbAFDFILESScenery folder? If they are being place elsewhere, it may be confusing the scenery generation engine that is not expecting an AFDFiles in other folders. Try moving the file to the above folder and see what happens.Secondly, I don't understand the use of "new type facilities entries" versus "old type facility entries" in your comments. If you place the AFD file in the above folder, you should be able to open it with AFCAD to see what is in them versus what is in a default AFD files.

Tried again with afd.bgl in afd folder, no luck. Builds database and just before it's done crashes with facilities.dll error and when you check FS folder, Index_File is huge (500+ megs). Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to why. Holger Lake scenery crashes yet Chelatna and Hellsgate don't. Not really a big problem because if you remove afd.bgl and replace index file with backup the scenery shows up, but it's a pain when installing new scenery.

Forgot to mention new style or old style facilities doesn't matter.

Guest RobA

Same result here but I've only used the afd files within the sceneries own folder. Heckman and Hellsgate both crash my sim with the facilities.dll error and write that huge index file. Starting the sim minimized let me see in Explorer that two files of 0 kb were written the instant I ran the fs.exe. Both had file names of random letters/numbers. After the crash these files now were 500 MB in size! Deleting them and removing the offending afd.bgl, I could start the sim and get a normal sized index_file. Strange is right and a nuisuance as well. Sometimes I think FS is more of an art than a science. ;-)Best,Rob

Have either of you tried using AFCAD or BGLAnalyzer to see what is inside the AFD.bgl files that may be causing the problem?Another suggestion is to contact the author if an email address was given in the download.