Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Ground2K - Number of Shoreline Points

Salt Lake - created a shoreline for a few miles. and compiled and displayed ok in FS2002. Added several points to it and the program hangs during the compile on xxxx_3.bgl file. In a loop verified by use of 99% of CPU time.Dick

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Hi Dick.You can select points, then use the delete key to remove them.There are limits to the number of points a line can use, ut it is many points. I'll have to play with this, as I don't know if Christian uses the extended version of the point count.Dick

It seems that it is the number of points that is the problem. Roads seem to have a very high max that I have not reached. If there is a way to determine the number of points (counter) I can play around with that to see the magic limit.Still a wonderful program. Hope that you little batch file process is included in the next version to make Landclass more integrated. DickKLBE

regards,

Hi Dick.The SDk states the maximum number of points in a single poly structure as 158 ( 31 + 127 ).Christian stock found that the "EX" addotion to the point count was a WORD, not a BYTE. So the actual number seems to be 65566 ( 31 + 65535 ). But I'm not sure that is the actual possible limit. :)There shouldn't be a difference between roads or shorelines... a line is just a line. There may be a limit in Christian's program, of some type, that you are hitting.You can just make a new line to extend the shore... I'm not sure if Christian's program allows overlapping of line ends, but that's how MS does it.Just a few days ago, "osman" discovered we can extend the number of polys or lines in a layer, within a cell. The SDK stated there was a limit of 127 ,and a reserved high bit as zero. But if this high bit is set to one, we can just add a BYTE ( DB ), as a count addition, allowing a total of 382 polys ( 127 + 255 )... and I'm not sure absolutely sure that is the limit for polys.If you can verify a problem with the number of points for the shores, you might want to e-mail Christian Fumey about it.In the default shorelines, lakes, etc... there aren't that many points.. usually only 4-6 per LOD13 area, as a shorline or poly passes through it. So you may be spacing your points a little close.Dick

My problem is not the number of points. Happens "sometimes" on as few as 3. Thought was related to a zig-zag pattern, then od number vs. even number of points - none of the above. I also began to get sub-script errors (9). Rebooted and now working but not sure for how long. May be related to underlying background size. I have successfully doe two shore lines on lakes uning a different background/size. Will continue to play....Dick KLBE

regards,

Guest fumey

Again, thanks a lot for people who take time to answer instead of me.In case of trouble : ground2K hangs, error messages,... please, send me your .LWM file; I do not need the background bitmap.Two bugs as reported :- the program hangs when a poly crosses itself (as a 8)- error message when many polys.Christian

Guest JoeW

ChristianReading the comments on the Ground2k program and I downloaded it, and installed it. In doing a small project I have several questions, and yes I did read the manual.1. The program needs a back button that will back up about 10 places.2. I don't understand how to select a point or an area...... 3. I don't understand how to tell it the landclass that I want...I tell it Arid and get something else.4. The button for finishing the line doesn't work. There is allways a gap in the shoreline.I have also gotten the runtime error and the program closes....Finally.... What does the button with the french on it do?Joe Watson

My shoreline problem was due to using poly instead of lines. I had created two shorelines ok but then forgot.Now found that certain shaped lakes give errors - crossed poly. Have sent info to Christian.Having a real tough time setting the shoreline for Salt Lake. Since I have not done this stuff before, I assume that I must set lod13 sectors to land type any time I expect to have any land show in that sector/LOD - true??Dick

regards,

Hi Dick."assume that I must set lod13 sectors to land type any time I expect to have any land show in that sector/LOD - true??"No. If there is land in the sim, it is already set as land. If there is water in the sim, then you'd need to mask over the water with a landmask. Somethings I do wish Christian's program had was better area filling, and greater ability to control the ordering of the dadastream.Areafills of 1x1 are allowed for LWMs, but 2x2, 4x4, 8x8, and 16x16 would also be nice.. and greatly quicken a project. When I made Pei, I had to make dozens of 1x1 fills... in later stages of the game, I either just made 1x1 land fills to completely cover the edges ( both land-side and water-side ) of the existing shorelines. I then made huge land polys to backfill the land, as hundreds of 1x1 fills was too tedious. You can make an LWM poly as big as you want, and the program will 'slice' them into the LOD13 restrictions. A caution. In a large project, many LWM polys seem to affect framerates... but fills do not seem to affect rates at all (?).The datastream seems to be a matter of filling ( 1x1's ) with water or land first when creating LWM masking ( in Christian's program ). Then you can draw the polys on top of the fills... and all should show correctly.In a project where I am altering a lake:I would fill the old lake completely. If you don't have a composite image that shows the old and new lake positions... I would just guesstimate the old lake area, and fill that area alone with land. Save you work often, and compile the 1x1 fills, then check them in the sim, until you are satisfied the area is filled. Then I would make my water mask polys near the edges of the lake... making them about 1 LOD13 area wide.Then I would select and change the fill assignments of the 1x1 fills that are completely inside the lake edge polys.So my process is:Fill 1x1 all needed land... but only if it is water in the default scenery.Make Area-wide water polys ( or a little bigger ) for the shore locations.Change 1x1 fill assignments to water when completely inside the lake.Don't be afraid to start new experimental projects, to see how the ordering of the datastream works in the ASM code. Or how polys are cut up by Christian's program.================The default world is land in FS2002. Then they make areafills of watermasking to make the world's water.. but only in fill areas that are completely water. These waterfills are then butted with landfills ( usually 1x1 fills ). And those butted landfills are then "trimmed" with watermasking polys.The defaults almost never use landmask polys.I'll attach a pic that show just this... note the landclass has a large area assigned as water, but it is the filled and masked over by water ( because it's actully landclass with a water texture ).The blue squares are waterfills 1x1, 2x2. The white squares butting them are landfills ( mostly 1x1 ). The dotted lines are watemask polys, that trim the landfills. The unfilled areas are land by default.Dick