Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

"Riding" Gmax objects - no a/c sinking or crashing

HiIs it possible to use an object like a large rectangle in FS and allow a/c to move about on it e.g. just like manoeuvring about an apron without the a/c sinking below the object or crashing when it comes in contact with it?CheersWill :-wave

Do you mean something like a helipad on a building?Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

...Well say if an object like a "plane" was used as a runway, is it possible to configure it so that an a/c stays above the runway without sinking or crashing??

Correct me if i'm wrong but I don't think this is possible in Gmax :-(Objects in Gmax can not be made landable, you sink right through them.You can make an invisible runway so it looks like you land on the object.But it has to be level ground to do this.

Hi Will_UK.http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...10&viewmode=allEssentially, the best way seemed to be:1) Make an invisible runway under the object you want to land on... this gives a smoothing to the ground, as well as flattening it. Same footprint as the object.2) Place the object.3) Make a zero-height advanced building, and place it at the altitude of the landing surface.4) Optional: place a groundpoly, to "paint" the landing surfaceThe end result is a smooth landable surface.. just like a runway. I only briefly checked step 1, but I believe it's needed for the smoothing.It's a lot easier than some other helipad methods I've seen.Dick

Can't completely remember, but only a Area16 SetElevation command should also do the trick I guess (not sure about bumpy effects then).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

But except for mesh and maybe LWM its impossible to make a landable area that are not level (hills or slopes)?

Yes, that's true (and even with mesh it is really difficult to do a non level one really nice).Arno

Arno