Sign in to follow this  
Guest GabrielR

did the easy thing - now I'm stuck!!!

Guest GabrielR

Hi, I designed in gmax a complete scenery with animations and custom texturing for SKBO and also the surroundings.Now I am ready to start doing the hard stuff. I have read the Scenery SDK and did not understand too much on .asm file editing, I would like to Know;1. Is there any tutorial, the ultimate complete stupid, dummy idiot's guide for .asm editing techniques. I need to do exclusions, flattening, Placement of effects, Agn placing etc..., terrain elevation editing etc...And also:any tip or advice on how to build a fence (metalic?) so I can see trough it and with the barbwire on top?Thanks!!!Searched the forums no much success, almost all the info found there presumes a deep knowledge in those topics...

Guest GabrielR

I have also tried to work with the tools provided by microsoft with the sdk... BLGC= can't make it to work, BGLplacer=no successIs there any front end programa for asm editing?Thanks

As far as I know there are no real tutorials about it. I have put some tips about it on my site (more to follow soon). Maybe that helps.BGLC is easy, just use DOS and call it with the asm file as a parameter, then that file is compiled and a BLG is produced. That's all BGLC does for you :).Graphical front end for this doesn't really make sense, as manual ASM editing will always come down to you using a text editor :).Why don't you use SCASM for placing the effects, flattening the ground, etc. That is easier I think. You would only need BGLC then if you want to tweak your GMax objects a bit.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest JohnC

Arno writes........."Why don't you use SCASM for placing the effects, flattening the ground, etc. That is easier I think. You would only need BGLC then if you want to tweak your GMax objects a bit"Kahului airport on Maui has its adjoining parking lot AREA unflattened and I would like to put a high resolution parking lot there eventually...is it possible to flatten some additional adjoining areas to already FLATTENED default airports?Has anyone tried adding flattened areas to adjoining flattened areas??As it stands, the edge of the default flattenned areas drop off very steeply as well and I was wondering if there is a way to reduce the sharp gradients around the edges....

Yes, you can add more flatten areas. If you set them to the same altitude you won't even see the difference. Or maybe you want to use some steps (although you might get a stair effect then).I don't know if you are familiar with making your own SCASM files?Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest GabrielR

Hi, I managed to set the effects with BLGplacer and the advice of Arno - thanks- Still Hoping to hear about some advises in reference the design of the metalic fence mentioned in the initial post.Still struggling to make the exclusion area.Thanks again!!

Creation of a simple exclude file in FS2k2 By Bob BernsteinIntroduction: We often want a small object from the default scenery to be eliminated when we decorate fs2k2 with our own scenery designs. While most scenery assembly programs provide an exclude option, I find a more direct approach to be writing this tiny file directly using only fs2k2 itself, notepad, and the free compiler called scasm.exe. Scasm is available at www.scasm.de By finding the area I wish to exclude directly from fs2k2, I can be very precise. I use this method to exclude objects as small as a single fuel box to entire airport areas. Basic Process: 1. Determine the area you wish to exclude. I do this by using the top-down view in fs2k2 in slew mode.

chain link fences have been a challenge, due to the appearance of the different levels of mip mapping. I made a photo texture of the actual wire, using an alpha channel for transparency, and I've seen others create such a texture also, and they can look great close up. Problem for me was that as you move further away from the fence, the initial lower mips appear, and the low resolution turns the appearnce into a blocky mess. Not using transparency loses the correct appearance, a fence like this looks nearly transparent in most angles.I finally settled on a compromise, I used bars for the fence form, and a simple block for the wire area with partial transparent material applied.

Guest GabrielR

Thanks for the Tips guys Finally something understandable (for a newbie) about exclusion areas!!!BOB: as a matter of fact, not only the fence, but the entire scenery of the screen shot looks great!!!!!gonna try that.

Hi GabrielR.Just to add to the great explanation Bob gave:What do you do if you have multiple objects you want to exclude, and you still want to keep the default runway and autogen?This is possible:Header( 1 N42:38.53 N42:37.74 W88:36.11 W88:35.97 )Exclude( 01 N42:37.75 N42:37.74 W88:36.00 W88:35.97 ) ; #1Exclude( 01 N42:38.53 N42:38.50 W88:36.11 W88:36.09 ) ; #2Exclude( 01 N42:38.48 N42:38.47 W88:36.09 W88:36.07 ) ; #3Exclude( 01 N42:38.49 N42:38.46 W88:36.05 W88:36.03 ) ; #4Also note, I entered the code as NSEW... not the usual NSWE. I also formatted the lat-long as W88:36.00... instead of -88:35:58.20Scasm "corrects" the coding to the right order and format... so we have a choice how we enter the code. Make sure the header 'encloses' the individual excludes.The "01" type excludes the visual scenery only.This code above excludes the multiple objects in one BGL. And it pinpoints the objects, rather than massively excluding everything in the Header area....Also. An exclude BGL can contain ONLY exclude commands.. so it must have it's own BGL.Dick

Guest JohnC

I'll give it a try....I had written a few scasm macros from ASD2.1 so I should be able to figure it out.

Thanks Dick for filling out my tut! The only question I have is you seem to suggest coding NSEW is different from what I wrote...instead its just what I wrote...I just called it rightmost and leftmost longitude (assuming we think about such things as north facing up). Manfred's scadocs spells out this order as I copied in the reference information section. I do know folks who have had problems with excludes, and found it was because they coded the longitudes as NSWE, which didn't work. Interesting that the deg:min:sec isn't required and that you can use Wlong, instead of -long...Bob B

G, thank you for the nice comment. the scenery is bman2k2.zip

Hi Bob.How about this?Header( 1 N42:38.53 N42:37.74 W88:36.11 W88:35.97 ) ; NSWEExclude( 01 N42:37.75 N42:37.74 W88:35.97 W88:36.00 ) ; #1.... NSEWExclude( 01 N42:38.50 N42:38.53 W88:36.09 W88:36.11 ) ; #2.... SNEWExclude( 01 N42:38.48 N42:38.47 W88:36.09 W88:36.07 ) ; #3.... NSWEExclude( 01 N42:38.46 N42:38.49 W88:36.05 W88:36.03 ) ; #4.... SNWEIt compiles perfectly as SCASM sorts the mess out. When checked with a hex editer... all the variations compile as the above example did. Just don't mix up latitudes and longitudes.Here's the command line printout:Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.C:Documents and SettingsDick.LUDOWRDesktopDelavanExclude>scasm DelavanExclude1c.sca SCENERY Assembler vers. 2.88 (32) Copyright ©1995-2002 by Manfred Moldenhauer, M_Moldenhauer@compuserve.com Any unauthorized distribution prohibitedfound sections: 0x00080000Line 3: latitude switchedLine 4: longitude switchedLine 5: latitude switchedLine 5: longitude switchedSect.19 -> entrys: 4 mem: 76Linebuffer 67/20480Maxlabels 0/1500 Maxpatches 0/2000Scasm compilation status: okValid types of inputs: W88:36:5.4 -88:36:5.4 W88:36.09 -88:36.09 W88.6015 -88.6015I think your scenery looks great, too!Dick

ain't this fun....we can study, learn, experiment...prove the guiding docs wrong...LOLThanks Dick, made my night! makes the whole thing a whole lot friendlier...B