Sign in to follow this  

Road Repair - Ground2K

While I cannot determine how to fix an existing shoreline, I have been very successful at repairing the FS2002 roads. As the picture below illustrates the highway (East of Salt Lake) now follows the valley. It used to stumble atop the mountains. Although not visible,at the end of the highway, I also created a small lake with a landclass that depicts a village.These functions of Ground2K are easy to learn and reap quick rewards. Some of the more esoteric items are of no interest to me at this time until I stumble across a need. Darn shorelines are my only problem right now.Dick

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

What are the problems with shorelines? I have made a lot of them in my EFHN project...Basically what you need to do is- exclude existing shorelines from each LOD13 area where you want new coastline (the red X button, then doubleclick the area, select what you want to exclude and press OK) - change each LOD13 area completely into water (the F1 button, then doubleclick the area and press OK in the dialog - water is default so you do not need to change anything there...)- Draw LWM land polygon(s) with no coastlines to fill up the area that should be land in your scenery (New line, select Poly without shore, Land, join line ends)- Draw the shorlines along the coastlines (New line, select Line/Shore, set the width and the line type according to your needs, do not join line ends)- Make the bgls, and finally move the bgls into a suitable directory for FS. This is how I made it and it works perfectly! Of course you could do it the opposite way, changing the areas first into land and then drawing the water polygons. That would probably a better way to do a lake but for coastlines I prefer the method outlined above.BamceEFHNHere is i pic from my scenery showing Ground2K-made shorelines and islands, roads and vtp2 landclass polygons:

Did you notice my little how to, and did it help you ou tof your coastline problem?BamceEFHN

It may not have helped him, but it sure helped me!Thanks!-david-

Guest PaulL01

Wow!You guys are really moving now!Is as easy to do roads? And...can we do rivers as well?Thanks for the quick Tutorial! :)

Hi Paul.In fact, our biggest worry now is if the data we get is current, and has the proper georeferencing to use as an accurate source. This is not a problem in the US, thanks to the TIGER line data, freely available, but sources of accurate data are still hard to come by for much of the world.But yes, we can completely alter the default landscape, usually without disturbing the default BGLS... but simply overriding them with exclusions. The singular exception is the default flattening of water polys... but, within reason, we can also adjust elevations of those areas.It was with great relief we read our designs ( and tools ) will work in the upcoming FS9.FS2002 becomes a thrill for VFR flight when you fly "low and slow" over your home ares... and they have accurately placed lakes, streams, rivers, roads and raillines. Framerates? Same as the default.Dick

That coastline looks really good Bamce. Is this still possible to do in areas that have deafult LOD?Jason

Did not get a chance to try it yet. Unfortunatly some other issues have arisen and taken me away. Looks like others had same problems. Just need to know sequences and limitations.Thanks,Dick

regards,

Hello Bamce,There is no need to draw the ground polygon separately from the shoreline. Ground2K can automatically place the shoreline on the edges of the polygon - this is why the attibutes page contains all options for lines and polygons (LWM and VTP).Neither do you have to fill the Area with water (or land) if your new coast and shoreline are close to the old - simply exclude the old shoreline and draw the new.Here is the very simple procedure: - exclude the old; - for the new combined coast-shoreline, a) choose "Poly with Shore" :( choose the shoreline that you want c) check "Land on the right" and make sure that you draw your line so that land is on the right-hand side of the line d) uncheck "Join ends of line" or you will get a coastline in the land e) select a layer other than the one excluded f) in the LWM/Poly section, choose "Land"That is all you need.Best regards.Luis

Luis,Tried your suggested procedure. I find that if the NEW shoreline is more than a LOD13 from the original FS shoreline you see parts of the original shoreline. Should not really say shoreline since sand and surf have been excluded. I have priority set to 7. You just said to make it different. Other parameters as suggested. If I restrict the NEW shore to within a LOD8 of the FS version it works ok.It seems that the code construct that is created does not account for changes that exceed a LOD13. Inmy case the FS shore is more than a LOD8 from reality.Dick

regards,

Hello Dick,Please forgive my confusion. I am not sure that I understand correctly.You say that you can still see the default shoreline, but I thought that if you had excluded it, you would not see it. You also say that there is no more sand and surf (the shoreline) so perhaps you mean that the coast mask (LWM) is still visible.As you found, the default shoreline can be excluded and then, if the new shoreline is within the same Area (LOD13), the simple procedure that I outlined will work.Otherwise, you may want to try the procedure given by Bamce.Hopefully, this means that you are making progress. Good luck to you.Best regards.Luis

Guest PaulL01

>Hi Paul. >>In fact, our biggest worry now is if the data we get is >current, and has the proper georeferencing to use as an >accurate source. >>This is not a problem in the US, thanks to the TIGER line >data, freely available, but sources of accurate data are >still hard to come by for much of the world. >>But yes, we can completely alter the default landscape, >usually without disturbing the default BGLS... but simply >overriding them with exclusions. The singular exception is >the default flattening of water polys... but, within reason, >we can also adjust elevations of those areas. >>It was with great relief we read our designs ( and tools ) >will work in the upcoming FS9. >>FS2002 becomes a thrill for VFR flight when you fly "low and >slow" over your home ares... and they have accurately placed >lakes, streams, rivers, roads and raillines. Framerates? >Same as the default. >>Dick This is fantastic! I must admit to really being way out of touch!Where do I begin?I would like to re-do the roads and rivers and perhaps even a little of the coastline for Upstate NY but mainly the roads, where do I begin? what tools do I need?I Feel like a complete newbie again! :)Thanks for any and all help!Now I know my scenery designer hat is around here somewhere...

In the pic below you can see the whole area of the EFHN VFR scenery, compared to the default MSFS version. Quite extensive use of Ground2K...The scenery was released today and it is available at http://www.fsnordic.net/ BamceEFHN

Hi all.If you follow an organised approach, these problems are usually avoided.The first thing to do is to determine the extent of your project. Sounds simple, but I can see problems if you don't know what you want to change before you start.Having the source bitmap printed can help... now you can mark on it and make notes.Then there is a process I follow:======================1)For the entire area, make excludes for all the VTPs... lines and polys. That's the button with the gray square and the red X in it. Christian has highlighted in blue text all the common things to exclude, and has them premarked. This will get rid of roads, streams, shorelines and airport background polys in the LOD13 Area clicked on. I do the whole extent of the project first. This might be hundreds of LOD13 Areas for a large project. This creates the exclude BGL. IMPORTANT!!!! This BGL should be named something like "aaaExWhatever.bgl"Why? Because of the datastream. You want this BGL accessed first in the local scenery folder... ( you read the SDK, right? ) The order of execution inside a folder is alphanumeric.======================2)I now make all the scenery extent land. I'm getting rid of all the water in the LOD13 Areas I'm going to work in. This is the toolbar button with "F1" in it. Make sure you click land. This could also be hundreds of LOD13 Areas for a large project... but you only need to force land to destroy old watermasking.. so you can usually restrict it to the ocean edges... but I'd take all the lakes. Tip: Before you destroy the lakes, jot down their elevations on the bitmap of the source you printed... you'll want these when you recreate them. TDFCalc3 will help you find exact elevations of the water.Now, after this tedious procedure, you have a design area with no VTPs and all landclass with no default watermasking. A clean slate.======================3)Compile what you've got, put the 2 BGLs in a scenery folder, activate. You may need adjustments... go back to Ground2K and make them, recompile, move to the scenery folder.....Eventually, you'll get to bedrock. Now I make my waterpolys, with elevation, and with shorelines. The VTP layer should be 8 for the shores, and you should keep the land to the right if that box is checked. Islands inside this watermasking should be created as land. You can make water without shorelines if needed for ocean coasts, then add unjoined shorelines later ( not a bad idea, anyways ).Now you should have watermasking, and shorelines done. Save compile, test, adjust, recompile....This is fun here, as the tedious part of excluding is done.======================4)You should now have all new watermasking, and new shorelines. If there are big square patches of water, this is a landclass problem, and you'll need to make a landclass bgl to assign appropriate landtype, instead of "water" as a landtype ( water is usually value 100 ).Ground2K will help you make the landclass bgl if needed.======================5)Now the land and water are done. You can add in roads, streams, invent raillines if wanted. Redo airport polys.Compile, test, etc...======================6) Now is the time to tweak the landclass, and add VTP polys if needed for smaller polys. Compile , test, adjust, recompile...======================7)Now might be a good time to make small SCASM elevations ( flattens ), to remesh old water areas that are too flat. Or if they aren't too bed, just leave them.Done!This process is not just for Ground2K, but for any project, with any tool.Dick