Sign in to follow this  
arno

Texture don't show up in lower layers

Hi,I've made an airport in gMax (3d objetcts that is) and used the fsregen method to make an api and call the object from the software. When I load FS, everything's fine, but when I add other sceneries, therefore taking that one out of the top layer, the buildings lose their texture and they become white. I put the scenery back in layer 1, restart the sim and the textures show up again. What is going on here? anybody have this problem? anobody please have a solution??Thanks so much,BlazerBR

This is strange and should not happen.- Do you have all the texture normally installed in the texture folder of your scenery?- Do you maybe have a copy of the object library (from FsRegen) in one of the other layers also? That might give problems.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

"- Do you have all the texture normally installed in the texture folder of your scenery?"Yes. All the textures are in the folder of the scenery and not the main texture folder or the addon scenery folder. "- Do you maybe have a copy of the object library (from FsRegen) in one of the other layers also? That might give problems."Yes, I do actually. I have some trees that I used in my sceneries, therefore the same .bgl is on various scenery folder. Not only the tree, but a light pole bgl too and maybe a couple more, but yes I have FSregen made objects in more than one airport. In this case, how can it be fixed?Thanks,BlazerBR

Try if the problem also occurs when you have the library in only one layer. Otherwise more then one match can be found for a certain GUID and that can confuse the scenery engine (and might give the effects you describe).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Thanks Arno. I'll mess around leaving one bgl in one of the scenery layers either the first one or the last one (of the scenery files that uses it) to see which one it has to be on to load on every scenery that uses it (I would assume it has to be on the lower layer). That is because I'm making this island pack with 4 airports, each with their own scenery and texture folders. To make sure whoever dlds it has the instalation right, is there a way to automaticaly edit the scenery.cfg when installing through an installer or a .bat file? I remember some sceneries doing this. Most have installers and I wouldn't mind using one for this ;-) They are neat.

Guest GerrishGray

Hi BlazerBrIf you are using object library BGL's and they contain objects called by more than one scenery, then the best approach is to put the library BGL's in the main scenery folder and any textures they need in the main texture folder. You should avoid having duplicate copies of the BGL's in other folders too.Although this is, theoretically, not the only way of installing library BGL's and their textures, experience has shown that it is the best way of avoiding the texture-loss problem that you describe. The reasons for this problem are not clear - it did not happen with FS2000 and there has been no obvious change in FS2002 to make it happen. Indeed, a lot of the FS2002 default scenery uses library BGL's and textures installed in other folders without the problem appearing!?! But I can tell you that many users have had the same problem as you and putting the 'offending' BGL's and textures in the main folders is the only 100% reliable way of curing it!Hope this helpsGerrish

I guess it doesn't happen with the default scenery because there there is only one copy of the same library loaded.In that case installing the library in a separate layer might also fix the problem, but that gives another layer and I guess installing in the main folder is easier then.Arno

Arno