Sign in to follow this  

Vehicle's in our scenery designs....consensus....

Hi AllI have been trying to address the the inclusion of vehicles into my scenery design and have found designing the shapes fair straight forward, given the simple nature of the accepted form at present.However, it is in the preparation of the textures where the time and effort seems to be required. With reduction and erasing around the the vehicle profile. Although it is easy enough to create different vehicle shapes, it is the creation of several textures for different vehicles which seems an enormous task.So far I have only taken pictures of my own vehicle and erased around the profile/shape and reduced down to 512x512 although I don't percieve this as the final size.Is it the accepted view that most designer's use other peoples library objects for vehicles, providing that their sceenery is for 'Freeware Release'. Assumably, the object designer's do intend their designs to be repackaged, provided there is no renumeration!!!I guess i'm just interested what approach other designer's take and would be interested to hear other peoples views as I try to tackle is element in my designsorry about the long winded request!!!RegardsDave

Hi Dave,I think other designers vehicles are only used if those vehicles (or the library) has been released for that purpose. I don't think it is common practise to just take someones library and make your own macro to call the objects you want.I still use the macros that came with VOD (yes the Fs5 tool) for my vehicles, but I plan to make some better ones if I find some time.PS. I hope I understood your question correct :D.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi ArnoThanks for the reply, as usual I always seem to complicate things!!You were partly right, I wouldn't want you to think I would use other peoples work and call it mine. I have this problem with a Robinson R22 Helicopter, where I have been trying to acquire the authors prior permission to use his work as a static!!!I think I was trying to estabish for or against, using Macro libraries/Textures as you say like Vod and the 'Kcar library by Andreas Klisch, or creating your own vehicles, but I couldn't get over the problems/time issues of creating your own textures.I of course realise there are a lot of factors which influence these decisions, like Time and resourcesthanks again for your reiable reply, hope this clarifies things and suspect I have answered my own question, unintentionally!!!RegardsDave

Guest Tony_A

Hi Dave, I can only speak for myself but I have uploaded some vehicle macros to Avsim, (Search under Tony Arnold - as far as I can remember the file is carapis.zip and a second upload of a texture file missing from the first one) - As far as I am concerned anybody can use either the API macro files or the bitmaps in their own private sceneries or adapt them as they see fit and include them in sceneries they use or distribute by uploading to any site that doesn't charge for them. You're right about the bitmaps taking the a lot of time to prepare. My bitmaps are based on photos of cars downloaded from many sources on the internet and while the original photos -from my understanding of copyright- would be copyright to the original photographer, the bitmaps I have spent many hours of work on are so far removed from the original photos that I suppose I would have a claim to the copyright of them. I think I can claim that I used them as a reference source for my "drawing" or "painting". I recently downloaded Agships.zip, 2 macros of ships uploaded by Bob Langendorfer and sent him an email about a problem I thought I had found with them and in his reply Bob generously told me that he was willing to send me the source files for his macros and that I was quite welcome to make changes to the bitmaps - change the names of the ships etc. I am about to release a few scenery files I have been working on and will give credit to the makers of any macro files I use. I usually keep the "read-me"s of any macros I download and from what I have seen most makers of macros simply ask for a mention in the read-me that you have used their macro. ..................Tony Arnold

Hi TonyThanks for the reply, I'll check your car's out, if I haven't already!!It's always intersesting when someone comfirms what you thought, regarding preparation of bitmap'sRegardsDave

Hi Dave,I also have uploaded some cars and aircraft API's about 1 month ago. You should find them in the AVSIM "FS2002 scenery Design" section. Search for Harald_Kraft.You can use and change them in any way you want, as long as your work is freeware.Sorry, no use in Shareware or comercial Software.Harald

Thanks HaraldI perfectly understand about the Freeware/shareware or as I prefer, the term 'Payware' which is what it is!!!I'll check your work out, but if you follow the link below, I think your see from the screen shot that it takes a long time to perfect the art of creating good Macro Objects. my own car wasn't the most easy cars to start with!! But I am getting there with well appreciated supporthttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID10/2101.htmlthanks for your your replyDave