Sign in to follow this  
akriesman

Start Locations, Non-AI

I am overlaying airports on top of aerial imagery. Since the default FS2002 runways/taxiways do not line-up in most cases, I have 2 choices:(1) Try and modify the airport skirting image to align better with the runways.(2) Move the FS2002 Runways and Taxiways to overlay the skirting.After battling back and forth on this for some time, I am going ahead and moving the FS2002 runways, taxiways, markings, and AI paths (for accuracy).As expected, this causes the user aircraft starting position to be off when you use the "World | Go to airport..." option in fS2002.I went into the AFDFILES and changed the RwyLoc() values for the airport in question. However, these values only seem to apply to AI traffic, not the user's aircraft.Does anyone know which BGL files (or folders) contain the user aircraft startup locations for a particular airport ? I thought for sure that it would use the same locations as the AI traffic (in the airport facility files, AFDFILES).Thanks. I have struggled with this for some time.Cheers,Allen

Guest luissa

Hello,The command to look for in the afd file is the following.Regards, LuisSetupLoc( Lat Lon elev hdg type stype num ) elev elevation in meters hdg heading type 1 for takeoff 2 for parking stype sub type N or 0 runway (normal) L or 1 left R or 2 right C or 3 center H or 4 helipad num runway number This data record is used by FS to set the start position from the menu.

Thanks Luis,I don't know how I missed that one, it was right there in front of my face the whole time :)Cheers,Allen

Are the locations for the runways, taxiways, buildings, etc. off because you are using up to date data vice FS2002 using data from before FS98 for MagVar?In your undertaking, you will need to make sure you adjust any and all NAVAIDs associated with your airport to coincide with your rearranging/moving the above.

Are the locations for the runways, taxiways, buildings, etc. off because you are using up to date data vice FS2002 using data from before FS98 for MagVar? I am not exactly sure of the cause. The problem does not seem to be MagVar related, because there is no consistency among airports in the same region. Sometimes the rotation is slightly off. Sometimes the rotation is dead on. Occassionally, the problem has to do with the scaling of the airport skirting.I have come to the conclusion that the FS2002 runway/taxiway locations are not as accurate as georeferenced aerial images.In your undertaking, you will need to make sure you adjust any and all NAVAIDs associated with your airport to coincide with your rearranging/moving the above.Yeah, I have already taken this into account.In fact, I had already tried change SetupLoc() in the past to set the startup locations. The problem was....that I was developing across a network. I was using AFINSTALLER to update my facilities changes. I forgot that I had installed a local copy of FS2002. AFINSTALLER was updating the local copy of FS2002, instead of the version installed across the network.Fortunately, the reply from Luis caused me to revisit the process.Allen